Are you passionate about driving forward the energy transition through rigorous research in your field? We offer a rewarding collaborative environment with internationally leading experts in a uniquely broad range of disciplines working towards a common mission. We strive for academic excellence in an environment encouraging creativity, diversity, teamwork, and academic freedom blended with responsibility.
The Department of Wind and Energy Systems at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Professor in Science & Technology Studies of Renewable Energy to strengthen our pioneering interdisciplinary social science research in the technological, economic, and societal nexus towards a sustainable and just energy system that integrates different renewable technologies, multiple sectors, diverse actors, and provides affordable and fair energy to all citizens.
Responsibilities and qualifications
You will lead the further development and growth of our research areas related to renewable energy technology, science, and innovation, particularly based on the research disciplines of Science & Technology Studies (STS) and Innovation Studies. You will carry out pioneering research and publish your findings in internationally renowned scientific journals that are highly ranked in the disciplinary and/or application fields.
You will be strengthening the department’s competences in your disciplinary research, for example in one or more of the following application areas:
- socio-technical controversies related to the introduction and upscaling of new renewable energy technologies and how they can be overcome through inclusive processes,
- broader societal valuations of renewable energy,
- innovation processes and policies in the wind energy sector, and the role of sustainability and social acceptability in technology development
You will help expand our teaching capabilities in the area of socio-technical dimensions of the energy transition. You will also help us to extend our multi-disciplinary network of international high-ranking research collaborators.
You will be affiliated with the Section for Society, Markets and Policy- in the Division of Wind Energy Systems, where we are conducting interdisciplinary social science research in the technological, economic, and societal nexus of wind energy. Our goals are to (1) improving the understanding of the dynamics and interdependencies between technology, economics, society, and the environment in the energy transition; (2) developing solutions for the successful long-term deployment and integration of wind energy; and (3) creating pathways for a responsible and sustainable technological development.
The section currently comprises an established team of 18 researchers (from Associate Professors and Senior Researchers to PostDocs, PhD students and Research Assistants).
Besides research, you are also expected to take a leading role in teaching at the BSc, MSc and PhD levels. You will develop teaching activities to support DTU’s ambition about having Europe’s best engineering education.
DTU employs two working languages: Danish and English. You are expected to be fluent in at least one of these languages, and in time are expected to master both.
We seek candidates with high-level publications in the research disciplines of STS and Innovation Studies, applied to the field of renewable energy and wind energy in particular. We seek demonstrated thought leadership regarding identifying concrete socio-technical issues in the energy transition and to developing solutions to overcome these issues. Candidates should be strong in industry collaboration and scientific advice.
As a researcher, we expect to see proven track-records in the following areas:
- High-level publications in the research discipline of STS and Innovation Studies
- Application to the field of renewable energy and wind energy in particular
- Teaching experience with a domain-relevant angle
- Successful Master thesis and PhD student supervisions
- Ready to assume leadership on new and challenging tasks,
- Team-player and eager to initiate collaborations with colleagues within and outside DTU,
- Dedicated to developing talent and advancing the scientific state-of-the-art, and
- Motivated to contribute to a dynamic environment where research and education on the highest international level are cornerstones.
As a person, we value ambitious collaboration-oriented researchers, who are:
- Highly self-motivated,
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Documented experience and quality of teaching and curriculum development
- Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section Lena Kitzing, firstname.lastname@example.org , tel.: +45 24 65 90 64 or the Head of Department, Morten Jeppesen, +45 93 51 89 85.
You can read more about DTU Wind and Energy Systems at www.wind.dtu.dk
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 25 February 2024 (23:59 Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/)
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
You can learn more about the recruitment process here.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Wind and Energy Systems aims at taking the renewable energy technology and its integration to the energy systems to the next level. Our goal is to create an impact for people and society through research, education and innovation, and collaborate with the entire energy sector to develop the most effective technology on the planet.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder