A unique possibility for an outstanding professorship
The Centre for Water Technology (WATEC) at Aarhus University offers a full professorship in Water Treatment Technology
Poul Due Jensen Professor in Water Treatment Technology at Aarhus University 968015
A unique possibility for an outstanding professorship at Aarhus University is now opened!
The Centre for Water Technology (WATEC) at Aarhus University offers a full professorship in Water Treatment Technology as described below. The position is funded by Poul Due Jensen Foundation and Aarhus University. The Foundation also makes available funding for a total of eight person-years of junior researchers (e.g. postdocs) associated with the chair, as well as for travel, consumables, etc. The position is available from November 1, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
WATEC is a cross departmental center at the faculty of Science and Technology. The centre unites and strengthens the research in water technology by forming a platform for collaboration between dedicated research groups, and forms a channel for communication with external partners. WATEC research includes:
- Wastewater treatment solutions
- Removal of micro-contaminants in water including innovative methods for determination
- Mapping and modelling of groundwater resources
- Constructed wetland treatment technologies
- Restoration of lakes and streams
- Modelling of the whole water cycle and its biological components
- Sensor development.
The new WATEC professor will be affiliated with the Biological and Chemical Engineering section (BCE), at the Department of Engineering. The University is now executing an ambitious strategic investment towards 2025, which will increase Aarhus University activities significantly within research and education in the engineering sciences. The vision is to bring AU into the global engineering elite. Aarhus University therefore seeks exceptional innovative and visionary engineering researchers to be part of this build-up and to strengthen and develop BCE at Aarhus University.
The appointed professor should strengthen engineering research in water treatment technology by introducing research in new processes and process technology for next generation water treatment, which operates at reduced costs, improved energy balance, reduced carbon footprint, increased resource recovery and reduced emission of micropollutants. The professor is expected to take lead in the build up of completely new process laboratories, with a strong focus on research employing larger prototypes and pilot scale equipment.
Providing the right candidate, AU and the Poul Due Jensen Foundation expect to allocate the required funding to construction of excellent research facilities.
The new professor will collaborate with other researchers at WATEC and Department of Engineering on process and technology development. Due to very close ties, and physical proximity between Engineering and Science departments, the professor will also have excellent collaboration opportunities with natural science Departments (Bioscience, Chemistry, Physics, iNANO etc.).
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Present plans for relevant high-impact research on water treatment technology and interaction with other WATEC researchers
- Conduct research at the highest international level
- Successfully attract external research grants from industry, national and international sources
- Develop and contribute to relevant educational courses at the PhD, Master’s and Bachelor’s level
- Participate in supervision of Bachelor, Master’s, and PhD students and postdocs
- Establish synergies between your own research and other related research activities to secure the needed interdisciplinary approaches
- Maintain a strong national and international network of contacts with leading research groups, as well as pursuing industrial contacts
- Be responsible for effective knowledge exchange with society, utility companies, and industry
- Mentor post docs and young researchers in attracting competitive funding.
The following professional and personal qualifications are required:
- PhD degree or equivalent qualifications
- Documented research qualifications at professorship level
- Experience in communication of research in a wide context
- Ability to strengthen national and international cooperation within the research area
- Documented ability to attract research funding
- Documented experience with supervision of postdocs, PhD and MSc students
- Documented teaching experience
- Documented leadership skills in relation to international collaboration and development of interdisciplinary research teams.
Place of employment and place of work
The place of employment is Aarhus University, and the place of work is Science and Technology, Department of Engineering, Hangøvej 2, 8200 Aarhus, Denmark.
Conditions of appointment
The position is open for appointment from November 1, 2018. Individual negotiations will take place, and it is evident that senior research leaders may have existing commitments and need time and resources to relocate to Denmark.
Aarhus University offers competitive start-up packages, and funding for consumables/travel is available for the first 5 years of the appointment.
For further information about:
- WATEC, please visit watec.au.dk
- The departments, please visit scitech.au.dk/en
- Poul Due Jensen Foundation, please visit pdjf.dk/en/research
- AU in general, please visit au.dk/en
For further information contact Head of Biological and chemical Engineering Section Lars DM Ottosen (+45 5137 1671 / firstname.lastname@example.org) or Head of WATEC, Niels Peter Revsbech (+45 23382187 / email@example.com)
Shortlisting is used. This means that after the deadline for applications - and with the assistance from the assessment committee chairman, and the assessment committee if necessary, - the head of department selects the candidates to be evaluated. The selection is made on the basis of an assessment of who of the candidates are most relevant considering the requirements of the advertisement. All applicants will be notified within 6 weeks whether or not their applications have been sent to an expert assessment committee for evaluation. The selected applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee and will receive his/her assessment. Once the recruitment process is completed a final letter of rejection is sent to the deselected applicants, including the main considerations emphasized during the selection process.
Formalities and salary range
Science and Technology refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). Guidelines for applicants can be found here.
Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities. (in Danish).
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of their personal background. Research activities will be evaluated in relation to actual research time. Thus, we encourage applicants to specify periods of leave without research activities, in order to be able to subtract these periods from the span of the scientific career during the evaluation of scientific productivity.
Aarhus University offers Relocation service to International researchers. You can read more about it here.
All applications must be made online and received by 1 August 2018
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder