Senior Researcher/Researcher in Fiber Optics
DTU Fotonik, the Department of Photonics Engineering at Technical University of Denmark, is seeking a candidate for a senior Researcher/researcher..
DTU Fotonik, the Department of Photonics Engineering at Technical University of Denmark, is seeking a candidate for a senior Researcher/researcher position in Fiber Optics.
You will be contributing to the research, teaching and innovation within the section whose focus is on nonlinear optics and bio photonics. More specifically, the effort within the position is focussed in the field of fiber optics, i.e. design and characterization of nonlinear fiber devices for applications within optical communication and bio photonics including sensing.
The research field of the position is within fiber optics, more specifically optical signal processing using nonlinear effects in optical fibers, primarily silica based optical fibers. Novel applications of optics and photonics are continuously being demonstrated within a wide range of applications including communication e.g. quantum communication, sensing e.g. distributed temperature sensing and bio-photonics e.g. imaging. The position is expected to contribute to basic research within these fields as well as to future topics within the field. The main focus of the research is experimental research supported by necessary theoretical research.
Responsibilities and tasks
The position is aimed at strengthening our experimental competences within the field of designing and utilizing novel optical fibers for signal processing with applications within optical communication, bio-photonics and sensing. The research will be conducted in close collaboration with colleges within our department as well as with national and international partners. This also includes industrial collaboration, and the successful candidate is expected to establish and build collaboration with national as well as international partners. Moreover, the successful candidate is expected to engage in, and lead fundraising efforts to secure funding of research activities.
Teaching and outreach activities has a very high priority at DTU Fotonik. Thus a significant part of the position also involves teaching and supervision of student projects, primarily within the above-mentioned topics to students at DTU at BSc, MSc and PhD level. Thus, preference will be given to candidates that can strengthen the following areas:
- Experimental characterization of optical fibers and fiber devices
- Design of novel types of optical fibers
- Collaboration with partners as well as research groups, nationally and internationally within relevant fields
- Outreach activities such as dissemination of research and presentations public media including high school students.
- Teaching at BSc, MSc and PhD level including project supervision
For international candidates, DTU offers Danish language courses for the purpose of being able to teach in Danish within the first 2-3 years.
Candidates for a
- researcher position must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- senior researcher position must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc and documented didactic/pedagogic training
Further, the successful candidate will ideally have the additional qualifications:
- Strong experience within fiber-optics, application, design and characterization.
- Expertise in the field of experimental research
- Collaboration with industrial partners/industrial experience will be an asset
- Collaboration with international partners
- Initial teaching and student supervision experience will be an asset
- A track record of management of research projects
- A strong academic track record in relation to publications in internationally recognized journals and conferences
- Strong teamwork skills
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position as a researcher is a permanent entry-level position. After a maximum of 4 years, a researcher can be promoted to a senior researcher position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Karsten Rottwitt, tel.: +45 4525 6384, email@example.com
You can read more about DTU Fotonik on www.fotonik.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 14 June 2018 (local time). Apply online at www.career.dtu.dk.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for” please indicate whether you are applying for position as Senior Researcher or Researcher.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as senior researcher should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder