The Energy System Analysis group placed in the Division of Sustainability at DTU Management invites applications for positions as Researcher (DTU Tenure Track) or Senior Researcher. The group provides tools and expertise, supporting national and international policy making in the green transition of energy systems. The group offers an excellent research environment with international staff, postdocs and PhD students.
The research area of the group focusses on the development of energy system models in order to integrate all energy carriers, sectors and applications at multiple spatial and temporal scales. This provides decision support for diverse stakeholders from both policymaking and industry in the context of the energy transition.
Hereby, the research addresses some of the main challenges for modelling the energy transition, for example considering stochastic supply from renewable technologies, accounting for risk and uncertainty, considering human behaviour in the short and long term and increasing the flexibility of the energy system. Energy data is analysed and with the help of statistical and data science techniques to learn about the development of the energy system or to prepare the data for its application to large-scale energy system models.
Our current research questions include how to decarbonise the existing system and how to design and operate systems and markets with large amounts of variable renewable energy. The group combines competences within systems analyses, market design, statistics, operations management and energy technology assessment.
The researcher position is part of DTU’s Tenure Track program. We provide you with the best conditions including a mentor, state-of-the-art research infrastructure, teacher training and relevant networks. After maximum 6 years you will be evaluated by an external assessment committee, and if evaluated positively, you will acquire a permanent Senior Researcher position.
Responsibilities and tasks
DTU’s vision is technological research to help societies transition rapidly to a green and sustainable world. With the announced positions, DTU wishes to strengthen our capacity for supporting this transition.
Your main activities will include:
- Conducting excellent research in one the above mentioned research areas and publication of articles in international high-level journals.
- Building/further developing a strong and academically visible research profile within one of the above mentioned research areas.
- Attracting external funding to the field of research.
- Building collaborations with researchers from other DTU departments covering a wide range of technology domains.
- Participation in projects and collaborations related to research-based public sector consultancy.
- Teaching future engineers in energy planning or energy systems and integration (for international candidates, DTU can provide Danish language courses enabling the candidates to teach in Danish within 2-3 years).
We seek especially interdisciplinary engineers with a techno-economic background in the development and application of one or more of the following methods to multi-vector energy systems at multiple temporal and spatial scales:
- methods of Operations Research (e.g. mixed integer linear programming, stochastic optimisation, agent-based simulation, problem structuring and mixed methods)
- statistical methods and econometrics (e.g. clustering, regression, time-series analysis)
- methods from microeconomics (e.g. equilibrium models, game-theoretic approaches)
- artificial intelligence (e.g. machine learning, classification)
- electrical and/or energy engineering (e.g. optimal power flow modelling)
Candidates for a
- Researcher position must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field,
- Senior researcher position must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc and documented didactic/pedagogic training.
Moreover, we expect you to bring the following:
- You have strong expertise and an excellent track record in one or more of the research topics listed above.
- You have the ability to motivate colleagues, peers, and students to give the very best and create an interdisciplinary atmosphere to achieve ambitious goals.
- You are an open-minded team player, motivated to contribute to a common goal.
- You enjoy teaching at bachelor and master level and are eager to develop your skills towards effective teaching.
As a successful Tenure Track candidate, you will meet DTU’s Tenure Track requirements. You have documented teaching experience and have experience in supervising students from Bachelor to PhD. You are among the best research talents in your field with the potential to reach the highest international level. You have documented scientific production at the highest international level and can document initiative for independent and original project ideas. You have the personal drive and potential to attract external funding for research activities and you thrive in a multidisciplinary work environment.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Tenure Track at DTU – Researcher position
DTU offers talented scientists from around the world attractive career perspectives via the DTU Tenure Track Programme. Highly qualified candidates are appointed as Researchers for a period of up to six years with the prospect of performance-based advancement to a tenured Senior Researcher position.
As part of the tenure track position, the candidate receives:
- Access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure
- Capability development, including postgraduate teacher training
- A mentoring programme
- Support to develop scientific networks and to secure interdisciplinary research at the highest level
- As part of the DTU Tenure Track Programme, the University carries out a mid-way evaluation to review the progress of the tenure track candidate, according to the same criteria used in the final tenure review. If the final review is positive, the candidate will be offered a tenured position as Senior Researcher at DTU
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
You can read more about the Division of Sustainability in DTU Management here: www.sustainability.man.dtu.dk/english. ;
Please submit your online application no later than 1 May 2020 (23:59 local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Vision paper
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of relevant employment
- Documentation of interdisciplinary collaboration
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as senior researcher should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as a Senior Researcher or Researcher.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder