Senior Researcher/Researcher in Test and Design of Wind Turbine Structures
Do you want to be part of a team that develop the future structural design tools and testing methods for very large wind turbine structures? Do you want to contribute to the scientific development of a new unique facility for testing large structures like wind turbine blades?
A Senior Researcher/Researcher position is available at the section Wind Turbine Structures and Component Design at DTU Wind Energy. We focus on the design and prediction of structural response of the turbine and its components and deals with structural design and optimization as well as reliability and loads.
We develop methods to predict the structural response of large structures subjected to complex loading. We do research in understanding failure mechanisms and progressive damage under both static and dynamic loading. We develop testing methods and measuring equipment for testing at full scale and for testing parts of structures.
Responsibilities and tasks
The (Senior) Researcher will join a cross-disciplinary, international team working on developing design tools and testing methods for wind turbine structures and components. The particular areas of responsibilities include:
- Senior Researcher - exchanging knowledge with society, including participation in the public debate, research management, guidance and supervision of assistant professors and researchers, academic assessment work, some teaching is possible.
- Researcher - some teaching is possible and a limited amount of other assignments
- Analysis and testing of composite structures such as wind turbine blades will be carried out on several scale levels (full size, sub-scale components etc.) and from different point of views: strength, fatigue life, damage tolerance. Experimental validation of numerical calculations will be carried out in structural test facilities at DTU.
- It is required that the research is published as journal papers and presented at scientific conferences. Most of the work will be done in national and international funded research projects lead by other staff persons in the department.
- Candidates should have or develop skills to write research project proposals and lead projects.
Good communication skills, patience and a positive attitude to working in a team are essential requirements for the successful applicant. The daily working language is English.
Candidates should have a PhD degree or equivalent.
Candidates for a Senior Researcher position must further have experience at least as Assistant Professor/Researcher/Postdoc or similar qualifications.
- Specialization in mechanics of composite materials and structures,
- Strong skills in structural testing and preferable with wind turbine blades,
- Practical sense of structural response and understanding of what a good design is,
- Work experience with sensor and measurement technology is an advantage,
- Work experience with test controllers and analysis software is an advantage,
- Work experience with finite element modelling is an advantage,
- Work experience with structural dynamics is an advantage,
- Work experience with big data analysis is an advantage,
- Work experience with wind energy is an advantage,
- Work experience with probabilistic design methods is an advantage,
- Ability to work independently towards the research goals,
- Ability to collaborate with other researchers,
- Fluency in communicating, reading and writing English.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- scientific production and research potential at international level
- innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- the ability to communicate at all levels such as the provision of scientific advice to public sector authorities
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. The Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position as senior researcher and researcher is permanent. The research scientist will after a maximum of 4 years transfer to a position as senior researcher provided that the employee is recommended for assessment and is deemed qualified. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
The daily workplace is DTU Risø Campus, Roskilde, Denmark.
Some travelling can be expected
Further information may be obtained from Head of team Kim Branner tel.: +45 4677 5470, e-mail: email@example.com
You can read more about the Wind Energy Department on www.vindenergi.dtu.dk/english
Please submit your online application no later than 1 January 2017.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for” please indicate whether you are applying for position as Senior Researcher or Researcher.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications (applicants applying for the post as Senior Researcher should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder