Senior Researcher/Associate Professor in Optimization and Data Science for Wind Energy Applications
The Department of Wind and Energy Systems has a vacancy for a Senior Researcher or Associate Professor position in the System Engineering and Optimization (SYS) at DTU Risø Campus
The Department of Wind and Energy Systems has a vacancy for a Senior Researcher or Associate Professor position in the System Engineering and Optimization (SYS) at DTU Risø Campus. DTU Wind and Energy Systems develops state-of-the-art design methods to ensure the best performance, lowest cost and optimal operation of wind and hybrid power plants.
This senior researcher / associate professor position focuses on using a range of applied mathematics methods (optimization, data science and machine learning, etc) to multidisciplinary design and analysis of wind and hybrid power plants. This is a crucial element of the overall section and department activities in research, education and innovation.
Responsibilities and qualifications
Your work will mainly be focused within systems engineering and optimization activities in research and commercial projects in SYS Section at DTU Wind Energy. Specific tasks will include:
- Leading research activities related to applied mathematics methods (optimization, data science and machine learning, etc) to multidisciplinary design and analysis of wind and hybrid power plants.
- Collaborating with domain experts in a range of research projects in wind and hybrid power plant applications – providing input into mathematical approaches used in the research.
- Writing papers for conferences and journal publications, supporting and leading development of research proposals, and participation on commercial projects for improving wind farm and hybrid power plant optimization practice by industry
Much of our activities are performed in collaboration with the industry, as well as other Danish and foreign research institutions.
In addition, the senior researcher / associate professor is also expected to contribute to the following tasks:
- Contribute to the ongoing projects in SYS with reporting and administration.
- Offer support and assistance in teaching courses relating to systems engineering and optimization and developing course materials if required.
- Supervise master and PhD students relating to power plant systems engineering and optimization and define the potential projects for them.
You must contribute to (senior researcher) or be responsible for (associate professor) the teaching at the Department. DTU employs two working languages: Danish and English. You are expected to be fluent in at least one of these languages, and in time are expected to master both.
The system engineering and optimization section at DTU Wind Energy is looking for a senior researcher / associate professor with a strong academic background in optimization and applied mathematics and its application in renewable energy systems. The candidate must hold a PhD degree in applied mathematics or equivalent.
The candidate must have academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a researcher position or assistant professorship and have documented didactic/pedagogic training (for an associate professor). To be appointed as a senior researcher, you must also have completed a didactic/pedagogic education. If you do not have the necessary education, then it is possible to complete this requirement within a period of two years of appointment.
The successful candidate is required to have excellent knowledge of:
- Documented knowledge about heuristic, metaheuristic and global optimization methods to address discrete and continuous optimization problems.
- Documented knowledge of data analytics methods including machine learning and gray-box model development.
- Experience with Python/Julia programming languages and scientific libraries.
- Experience with open-source and commercial state-of-the-art optimization software like SNOPT, CPLEX, GUROBI, etc. for exact optimization problems.
The preferred candidate will also have some experience in applied mathematics research to address renewable energy topics. In addition, preferred skills include:
- Experience with multi-fidelity and surrogate-based modeling for optimization and uncertainty quantification.
- Experience with physics informed machine learning / deep-learning.
- Experience with optimization under uncertain and stochastic environment.
- Experience with advanced multi-disciplinary analysis and optimization (MDAO).
- Ability to work independently towards the research goals.
- Ability to collaborate with other researchers.
- Fluency in communicating, reading and writing English.
- Open-minded, responsible, ready to engage in a team.
- Excellent track record of papers in conferences and journals.
- Excellent track record in teaching and student supervision.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Research experience
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research vision and potential
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Katherine Dykes, +45 21 79 92 59
You can read more about the DTU Wind Energy department at https://www.vindenergi.dtu.dk/english .
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Please submit your online application no later than 30 November 2022 (Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/)
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as Senior Researcher or Associate Professor.
You can learn more about the recruitment process here.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Wind and Energy Systems is a department at the Technical University of Denmark with the overall mission to develop and create value using the natural and technical sciences and focusing on wind energy for the benefit of society. This includes research and education in siting and integration, wind turbine technology, and offshore wind energy as well as scientific advice and testing and other research-based services. This department of 258 employees is an internationally leading centre in wind energy and cooperates with industry and institutions worldwide.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,400 students and 5,800 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder