Senior Researcher in Trace Elements in Feed and Food
The National Food Institute (DTU FOOD), a department at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), invites applications..
The National Food Institute (DTU FOOD), a department at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), invites applications for a position as senior researcher in the Research group for Nano-Bio Science. The research group has a dynamic staff with high international visibility, many research collaborations with leading international universities and industry partners and the group has a successful track record of national and international research projects.
The research group aims to contribute to the development of healthy and safe foods and functional ingredients via research on nano- and micro-structured materials and trace elements.
Particular focus areas are on trace elements and their chemical species in the food and feed chain primarily through ICPMS-based techniques, analytical characterization of nanoparticles, and synthesis of functionalized nano/micro-structures. A significant part of the group activities is related to being the European Reference Laboratory for metal and nitrogenous compounds in food and feed (EURL-MN), which has recently been appointed to DTU Food.
You will be part of an experienced and dynamic team housed in new laboratories with a state-of-the-art analytical platform. The group has an extensive, interdisciplinary collaboration with other research groups at DTU Food and the candidate is expected to participate and develop our collaboration to strengthen the group’s position at DTU.
Responsibilities and tasks
The successful applicant will be responsible for contributing to on-going research activities related to studies on trace elements and their chemical species in feed and food. A major role is foreseen in the newly established European Reference Laboratory for metals and nitrogenous compounds in feed and food (EURL-MN), which has recently been appointed to DTU Food. The candidate will be involved in the daily operation of the EURL-MN and contribute to organizing proficiency testing schemes, training activities, workshops, providing technical and scientific support to the EU Commission and other stakeholders within the area.
The candidate will be involved in the daily operation of the laboratory facilities for trace element analysis and will contribute to maintaining its accreditation.
The candidate will furthermore be expected to contribute significantly to the further development of the research area on trace elements in feed and food as well as contribute to developing other research areas of the group. The candidate is expected to develop own project ideas and realize these through attraction of external funding in collaboration with the group and/or other partners, both at DTU, national and international.
The position will also include responsibilities for conducting research based teaching in existing courses at DTU at bachelor, master and Ph.D. level and/or student project supervision as well as research based consultancy to businesses and (inter)national food authorities.
The group has an extensive, cross-disciplinary collaboration with other research groups at DTU FOOD as well as with other departments at DTU and candidates will be responsible for utilizing such collaboration to strengthen the group’s position at DTU.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent).
- possess documented academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained through at least 5 years of employment as Postdoc, Assistant Professor or (senior-) Researcher
- have a strong research background in trace element detection and characterization (incl speciation analysis) in biological matrices (incl feed and food), by instrumental methods like inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICPMS).
- be fluent in English, both written and orally
Priority will be given to applicants with documented experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Reference laboratory activities (both national and international)
- Feed and food legislation (focus on feed/food safety aspects)
- Laboratory accreditation and analytical quality assurance
- International networking and collaboration skills obtained through e.g. international projects and networks
- Planning and management of research projects
- Student project supervision (at MSc and Phd level) and other teaching/training activities
- The environment between university research and governmental consultancy.
In addition we expect that:
- You document your work in the form of scientific publications
- You are motivated by both personal and team accomplishments
- You thrive on collaboration and teamwork
- You contribute to a nice working atmosphere
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact, including provision of advice to authorities
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from head of research group Jens J. Sloth, +45 9351 8857 (email@example.com) and Head of division Henning Høgh Jensen, +45 4025 1222 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please submit your online application no later than 15 March 2018 (local time). Apply via the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Views research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
You can read more about DTU Food on www.food.dtu.dk/english/Service/About-the-institute
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder