The Quantum and Laser Photonics Group at DTU Fotonik, Technical University of Denmark, invites applications for a position as Senior Researcher.
The objective of the position is to strengthen experimental activities on the design, fabrication and experimental characterization of new types of active nanophotonic devices based on III-V semiconductors. The position will support research activities within an ERC Advanced Grant, “Fano photonics”, as well as a newly starting DNRF Center of Excellence, “NanoPhoton”.
Responsibilities and tasks
You will be responsible for activities related to Fano structures, with the purpose of experimentally demonstrating ultrafast and low-noise Fano lasers, optically controlled switches, and control of emission in few-emitter structures. You are expected to contribute to the theory, design, fabrication, and experimental investigation of these structures, with the overarching goal of understanding the fundamental physics and identifying new opportunities.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Mentoring PhD, masters, and bachelor students, including formulation of new projects
- Acting as lab manager of our optical laboratory
- Assisting in the planning, organization and supervision of research activities
- Disseminating the results of your work at conferences and in high-impact journals
- Developing international collaborations and staying abreast of the field by participating in conference organization.
- Securing external financing for new activities
In general, your research should be oriented toward achieving long-term goals that solve important challenges in integrated photonics and contribute to the fundamental understanding of light-matter interaction in semiconductor nanostructures. Your research direction should be based on a firm understanding of the materials and devices you develop, acquired through rigorous application of the scientific method.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in engineering or physics, as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have solid experience with design and fabrication of III-V semiconductor devices based on the photonic crystal membrane platform
- Have solid experience in experimental characterization of materials and devices
- Have a solid understanding of the physics of semiconductor lasers and photonic crystals
- Have experience with the formulation and numerical simulation of device models, e.g. based on coupled mode theory
- Enjoy mentoring others
- Have excellent communication skills in English, written and oral
- Be flexible, resourceful, and self-motivated to achieve world-class results
- Take personal responsibility for his/her work
- Enjoy working with complex topics
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- a strong track record of publications in well-esteemed journals
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The position as a senior researcher is a permanent position. After completing pedagogical training at DTU, the position may be converted to a position as associate professor. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Jesper Mørk, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about DTU Fotonik at www.fotonik.dtu.dk/english. ;
Please submit your online application no later than 31 January 2020 (23:59 local time). Apply online via the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.