The Department of Photonics Engineering (DTU Fotonik, Denmark) invites applications for a position as a Senior Researcher in the Group of Metamaterials.
The position will involve both scientific research, supervision and advisory work related to nanophotonics with metamaterials. The candidate will be engaged in on-going projects on sensing applications of novel metamaterials and related nano-optic phenomena.
The successful candidate will become part of the Research Group of Metamaterials. Focus areas of the group are design, fabrication and characterization of novel nanostructures for application in nanophotonics. Our interest is mainly in so-called metamaterials, with artificially engineered optical and electromagnetic properties, e.g. hyperbolic metamaterials, epsilon-near-zero materials, water-based metamaterials, all-dielectric metasurfaces for a wide variety of waves from visible to microwave frequencies. We are massively using DTU Nanolab (cleanroom) facilities for advanced nanofabrication.
We seek a candidate capable of working independently, who is motivated by both personal and team accomplishments.
Responsibililties and tasks
The successful candidate is expected to contribute forefront research and innovation within nanophotonics. A special focus will be given for the mid-infrared wavelength region for spectroscopic and sensing purposes. Detection and identification of molecules has a significant impact on both fundamental research and various applications from environmental monitoring to medical and clinical diagnosis. The mid-infrared absorption spectroscopy offers a unique label-free detection scheme thanks to the characteristic light absorption features of molecules in the mid-infrared wavelengths. The position is to generate fundamental insight relevant to novel nano-optic phenomena in nanostructures and to apply them for mid-infrared absorption sensing to improve the sensitivity of biomarkers detection.
- You will contribute to experimental research in the field of mid-infrared absorption spectroscopy, nanophotonics, and metamaterials in order to study the fundamental nano-optic phenomena and implementation of semiconductor-based nanostructures in applications for metamaterials-enhanced sensing.
- You will establish the metamaterials sensing as one of our prime research direction.
- You will conduct and produce high quality original research and disseminate research results through suitable channels.
- You will engage in collaborative research with other internal and external groups.
- You will engage in training, mentoring, and supervision of MSc and PhD students and their research projects.
- You will exhibit successful fundraising to support establishment of your own research direction.
- You have the ability to motivate your colleagues to be their best and achieve ambitious goals in order to contribute to the planning and managing efficiently research group activities.
The position is intended for a dynamic person with documented promise in the field.
Candidates must hold
A PhD degree in photonics or equivalent academic qualifications and relevant research experience equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as Researcher or Postdoc.
The candidate should also have:
- Documented research experience and expertise in fundamental and applied research of nano-optic phenomena and in particular highly confined and localized photonic states.
- Extended “hands-on” experience with various spectroscopic techniques.
- Experience in optical characterization of nanostructures and gratings.
- Experience in mid-infrared sensing.
- Experience in numerical methods, and effective parameters retrieving.
- Experience in applying for external funding
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
The candidate should also have documented international mobility with a scientific network that includes established collaborations with strong international groups.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Associate Professor Andrei V. Lavrinenko, E-mail: email@example.com, tel.: +45 4525 6392.
You can read more about the Department of Photonic Engineering at www.fotonik.dtu.dk/english.
Please submit your online application no later than 24 July 2019 (local time). Apply online by clicking the link "Ansøg".
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.