Senior Researcher in molecular virology with a focus on Diagnostic Methods and Systematics within Aquatic Animal Health
DTU is looking for an ambitious and skilled senior researcher in aquatic animal health focusing on molecular tracing of aquatic pathogens and advanced diagnostic methods in the field of aquatic animal health
DTU AQUA invites applications for a position as senior researcher in the Unit for Fish and Shellfish Diseases embedded in the section for "Public Sector Consultancy”. The Unit has 24 employees and focuses on interdisciplinary research on aquatic animal health.
The Unit host the National reference laboratories for fish, crustacean and molluscs diseases as well as the EU reference laboratories for fish and for crustacean diseases and is the OIE reference laboratory for VHS. High-level interdisciplinary research is therefore essential for our unit and we are seeking a senior scientist with a strong background in phylogenetic analysis and bioinformatics within aquatic animal health to fulfill this task. The unit is working under and is accredited according to the ISO 17025 and ISO 17043 requirements.
Responsibilities and tasks
With this position, we want to strengthen our research competences within aquatic virology, molecular phylogenetic and bioinformatics. The successful candidate is expected to conduct high-quality scientific research at international level, including scientific publications and contribution in highly reputed venues. We want to strengthen the research field at the institute by internal and external collaborations and therefore need a candidate that is strong in fund raising, and who is interested in organizing and promoting experimental research at DTU Aqua’s laboratories and take responsibility for operating the related laboratory facilities in favor of both fellow researchers and external collaborators.
The successful candidate will be in charge of the molecular area within the section, organizing tasks for the technicians and students (Msc and PhD) at the unit, therefore management skills are an advantage.
The successful candidate will be deeply integrated in the work of the unit and therefore will need to demonstrate synergic and effective collaboration skills in order to raise the impact of the research conducted.
Furthermore, capacity to take initiatives in introducing new technologies should be demonstrated as we want to maintain a forefront role of the laboratory worldwide.
The research scientist will be part of the OIE reference laboratory for VHSV, and it is expected that the candidate will be one of the driving forces conducting research in the different molecular aspects of this virus.
Other responsibilities of this position include:
Maintenance and improvement of the quality assurance system ruled by DANAK within ISO 17043 and ISO 17025 with flexible scope for validation of new molecular diagnostic tests.
Within the EU reference laboratory functions to organize and plan the yearly inter-laboratory proficiency tests for listed diseases of fish and crustacean
Maintenance and characterization of reference pathogen repositories.
Molecular characterization of cell lines used in fish surveillance, diagnostic and research.
Qualifications and requirements for the position
- Hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in molecular science.
- Have documented research experience within the field of aquatic animal health with a focus on pathogen diagnostic and molecular characterization, particularly viral pathogens
- Have thorough knowledge on phylogenetic reconstruction and phytogeography, and ability to apply this knowledge in the field of aquatic virus/pathogens
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge in the area of emerging disease and applied technology to identify new aetiological agents.- have a thorough and documented knowledge on quality systems in the diagnostic setting, particularly ISO 17025 and ISO 17043 standards.
- Have experience with development and validation of molecular diagnostic tests
- Be familiar with NGS and bioinformatics pipelines for genome assembly
- Candidates must have a good record of peer review publications
- Candidates must have international experience and network
- Candidates must have good communication skills both in oral and written English
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Experience with quality assurance, validations and flexible scope
- Experience with planning and conducting experimental work.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Niels Jørgen Olesen on 3588 6831 / 2924 4310 (mobile) or head of section Jørgen Dalskov on 3588 3385 / 2045 4882 (mobile).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.