Senior Researcher in Mesoscale and Microscale Modelling
he Wind Energy Department at DTU is seeking a candidate for a senior researcher position in the field of mesoscale and microscale
Senior Researcher in Mesoscale and Microscale Modelling of Boundary Layer Wind Profiles
The Wind Energy Department at DTU is seeking a candidate for a senior researcher position in the field of mesoscale and microscale modelling of boundary layer wind profiles. The position is in the Resource Assessment Modelling Section (RAM).
DTU Wind Energy is a mission driven university department with a vision to be the preferred university partner for the global wind energy sector. The department creates value for society through integration of research with education, innovation and research-based consultancy within key fields central to the development and use of wind energy.
The section Resource Assessment Modelling Section researches in the field of assessment of wind resources for power generation and of loads on turbines and various other structures. The research applies both micro and mesoscale modelling of wind conditions for the purposes of wind energy, i.e. resources, extremes, variability and other relevant qualities.
Our day-to-day work ranges from the development of models and software, applying field measurements and assessment studies. We also study environmental problems related to the transport of air borne pollution and turbulence exchange of matter during interaction between the atmosphere and terrestrial or marine surfaces.
The position’s main focus is to help drive research towards a better understanding of processes in the boundary layer at the atmospheric mesoscale that influence the wind conditions for wind turbines; through application and validation of mesoscale and microscale modelling using advanced measurement techniques. The influence of atmospheric stability, baroclinicity and surface description are the main areas of research.
Responsibilities and tasks
As successful candidate, you will be a key member of a team applying atmospheric models to wind energy problems, both in research and commercial projects. You will be expected to lead collaboration with other groups within the Wind Energy Department and to drive development and implement new ideas within wind energy meteorology. You will write scientific articles, lead project applications, contribute to and help with convening of conferences, workshops and project meetings. In addition, you will assist with profession training in order to bring impact of your research into industry. You will also support courses at DTU Wind Energy and supervise PhD and Masters projects.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in meteorology, climatology or other closely related fields, as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc.
Additionally, the applicant must:
- have extensive experience in running, modifying and analysing the output of mesoscale and microscale models; experience with WRF is an advantage
- have extensive experience using advanced measurement, such as lidar data, to understand wind phenomena and verify modelling results
- have extensive experience using high resolution land use data
- have experience with programing languages (Fortran, C, or C++, Python), data processing software (e.g. IDL, NCL, R, or MATLAB), scripting (e.g. Python, Perl, C-shell) and familiarity with Linux (or MAC OS) environment
- have experience using the WAsP software
- have experience running programs on large computer clusters
- possess a strong understanding of atmospheric boundary layer processes influencing modelling of wind profiles
- have experience in the co-supervision of Master or PhD students
- be able to work independently and to efficiently deliver results on time
- be able to lead small teams in a multi-disciplinary environment
- be able to take initiative, prioritize and work under set deadlines
- have a good record of peer-reviewed scientific publication
- be willing to travel globally for project meetings, conferences, etc
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- enjoy working with complex topics
- understand that reflection and personal development is vital for innovation
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
The place of work will be DTU Wind Energy, Risø Campus, near Roskilde.
You are welcome to contact Head of Section Jake Badger, +45 4677 5094 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about the Wind Energy Department here
Please submit your online application no later than 5 December 2018 (local time). Apply via the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF filecontaining all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g.http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.