Senior Researcher in Manufacturing Metrology
We are seeking an ambitious senior researcher in manufacturing metrology covering dimensional and geometrical metrology as well as surface metrology.
The Section for Manufacturing Engineering at Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), performs theoretical, numerical, and experimental research in the field of manufacturing engineering. It covers a wide range of manufacturing processes and modelling approaches, metrology at all scales, micro/nano manufacturing, and additive manufacturing. The research is based on a multidisciplinary use of process technology, materials science, solid and fluid mechanics as well as thermodynamics and heat transfer in the analysis, modelling, and development of manufacturing processes.
Responsibilities and tasks
You will be responsible for research activities related to manufacturing metrology at the Department of Mechanical Engineering. This includes scientific contributions in the areas of dimensional and geometrical metrology as well as surface metrology with emphasis on the application of metrology to quality assurance of manufacturing processes. Your research could include development of methods, artefacts and equipment to establish traceability in manufacturing metrology using both numerical and experimental approaches.
You will engage in collaborative projects with colleagues at the department as well as across departments and centres at DTU. You have the ability to collaborate with industrial partners to solve industrial problems using scientific approaches. You are expected to contribute to developing externally funded research projects, and lead own research proposals and projects.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc.
- documented didactic/pedagogic training
The applicant is expected to have strong competences within a number of the following topics:
- Dimensional and geometrical metrology
- Surface metrology
- Establishment of traceability and uncertainty estimation
- Statistical methods and their application to product and process metrology
- Application of metrology to manufacturing processes
- Proven track record of industrial collaboration
- Proven track record in management of research projects.
You should enjoy teaching students at all levels. Flexibility and self-motivation are desired skills at DTU. In addition, we expect you to be interested in collaboration and take personal responsibility for your work
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section, Professor Jesper Hattel, tel.: +45 4525 4710.
You can read more about Department of Mechanical Engineering at www.mek.dtu.dk. ;
Please submit your online application no later than 23 November 2020 (local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Mechanical Engineering covers the fundamental engineering disciplines within Solid mechanics, Fluid mechanics, Coastal and Maritime Engineering, Energy systems and energy conversion, Materials and Surface Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering design and Product development. The department has a scientific staff of about 135 persons, 100 PhD students and a technical/administrative support staff of about 80 persons.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 12,000 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.