Senior Researcher (group leader) of the Novel microbial food science group
We are recruiting a senior researcher (group leader) to lead the novel microbial foods group.
Today’s food production system is highly unsustainable.
At the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability at DTU we address this important societal issue by utilizing food waste to produce novel delicious microbial foods based on fermentation. Microbial foods have the potential to substantially improve the carbon footprint of food production, to decrease water-and land use of agriculture, to reduce pollution and to provide a balanced, nutritious and healthy diet tailored for human needs.
We are recruiting a senior researcher (group leader) to lead the novel microbial foods group. A suitable candidate has a curious, creative and explorative mind to develop completely novel and unseen food based on microbial biomass and fermentation of waste substrates.
The Center for Biosustainability has over a decade of experienced with microbial synthetic biology enabling the rapid production of a variety of proteins such as animal or plant proteins or proteases. This scientific platform will enable exploration of novel approaches to product development based on molecular ingredients paving the way for completely new foods.
Responsibilities and tasks
As a group leader at Center for Biosustainability you will:
- Lead a research group within microbial food science
- Develop research projects towards societal impact and potential commercialization
- Translate the scientific platforms of the center into novel food products
- Engage in public outreach to increase awareness of the potential of microbial foods to address current global sustainability challenges
- Take part and lead novel grant applications
- Present research findings in research papers, conference proceedings and other outreach activities
Candidates must be
- highly motivated by the opportunity to create cutting-edge products for the food of the future.
- experienced with innovative food product development and/or gastronomy
- knowledgeable about food fermentations
- creative and open to completely new types of food.
- knowledgeable about the influence of nutrition on human health
- capable of leading a group
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
- Well funded research institute with leading expertise in microbial fermentations and synthetic biology
- Funding for the group leader position and additional base funding for 2 to 3 scientists within the group
- Collaborative and supportive work environment
- Infrastructure to commercialize developed products
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
The position is available from 1st January 2021.
Further information may be obtained from professor Morten Sommer, email: email@example.com. Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.
You can read more about DTU Biosustain at www.biosustain.dtu.dk ;
Please submit your online application no later than 30 November 2020 (Danish time). Apply at www.career.dtu.dk ;
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain)
Recent progress in our ability to read and write genomic code, combined with advances in automation, analytics and data science, has fundamentally changed the scope and ambition of harnessing the potential of biological systems. Big data approaches and analysis of biological systems are key research instruments at the Center. DTU Biosustain utilizes these advances for microbial cell factory design to foster sustainable lifestyles in relation to three application areas: Sustainable Chemicals, Natural Products, and Microbial Foods. Learn more at biosustain.dtu.dk
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 12,000 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder