Senior Researcher in Flexibility of Integrated Energy Systems with a focus on Applications
The Dynamical Systems section conducts fundamental, advanced, strategic and applied research in the area of dynamical systems. This involves both deterministic and stochastic systems, discrete and continuous systems, deductive and inductive model building, forecasting and descriptions, as well as control and optimization.
We do research in both deterministic and stochastic systems within a range of applications. The main themes are energy, smart cities, medicine, and biology.
The focus of this position will be on energy systems flexibility, including different technologies of demand-response. Moreover, the position will deal with the sector coupling, intelligent integration of the energy system and integration of flexibility modelling into energy planning.
Thus, this position has many interdisciplinary engineering aspects and the position focuses both on the expertise in mathematical modelling aspects, as well as in technology specific aspects.
The position involves a modelling of complex interactions between different flexibility options, understanding the impact of different technology constraints on models, understanding of differences in use of operational and energy planning models, and the linking between different energy model types.
The position involves a data analysis of different IoT devices and energy systems, and modelling their evolution and impact in future energy systems.
The position includes development of the own models, as well as use of the existing models and modelling frameworks.
Responsibilities and tasks
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who will be responsible for leading research activities related to the integrated energy system modelling with a focus on energy flexibility, at the Dynamical Systems Section. You will
- create your own energy system models tailored for specific needs;
- coordinate different projects with the focus on energy systems
- make a fine balance between the research work, project management and interactions between different current and future partners
- evaluate the pros and cons of the current case specific energy models in the group, and in discussion with other section members decide on further development
- research the impact of digitalization of energy systems
- incorporate complex dynamic behaviour into the energy planning state of the art models
- collaborate with many international and Danish organizations
- engage in exploiting novel combinations and synergy effects with other methodologies researched and used at the section;
- engage in project management activities and initiate funding applications related to your field of research on a regular basis;
- provide your own funding based on research project applications
- support education and innovation activities;
- contribute to supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students;
Finally, you will be willing to contribute to teaching in dynamic programming and optimization.
Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in energy engineering or similar. Furthermore, excellent command of the English language is essential and basic command of Danish is a benefit.
More specifically, you should have the following qualifications:
- modelling interactions between different flexibility options in energy systems
- collaborating with experts from the fields of statistics and from dynamical systems, preferably documented via publications in the international scientific journals
- energy system coupling and smart and integrated energy systems modelling
- energy planning models such as Calliope, Balmorel, EnergyPLAN, etc.
- state-of-the-art modelling of flexibility in energy systems, possibly documented in scientific publications
- established track record of attracting project financing, preferably as a project leader
In addition you:
- enjoy working with complex topics
- are motivated by both individual and team accomplishments
- are a result oriented person, well organized and efficient
- thrive on collaboration and teamwork
- believe in dialogue and feedback as the best foundation for sound decision-making
Flexibility and self-motivation are desired skills at DTU. In addition, we expect you to be interested in collaboration and to take personal responsibility for your work.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. This position is a permanent position. Starting date is 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Henrik Madsen, email: email@example.com, tel.: +45 4525 3408.
You can read more about DTU Compute at www.compute.dtu.dk/english. ;
Please submit your online application no later than 22 October 2020 (local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "ANSØG", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.