Senior Researcher in Eco-efficiency and Innovation of Urban Water Systems
You will be part of the section Urban Water Systems that focusses on sustainable management of the urban water cycle with respect to its quantity and quality across the continuum from raw water, to potable water, to storm water and to wastewater. In all cases, collection, treatment, use, and reuse are considered. Both computational and experimental studies are conducted, and research is done at the lab, pilot, full, or city scale. Most of our research is in collaboration with other research institutions, stake-holders, or end-users.
With this position, we want to strengthen our research in two areas: 1) lifecycle and eco-efficiency assessment of new technologies and future systems for water and resource management in the urban water cycle, and 2) continue the development of networks and partnerships related to sustainable water technology innovation at DTU.
Responsibilities and tasks
In close collaboration with the department’s researchers, you will be in charge of further developing methods and tools for the assessment of environmental and economic performance of urban water systems, including industrial water applications. You will also have responsibility for maintaining and expanding our department’s large network of industry and utility partners within water technology in collaboration with our Office for External Relations.
The specific tasks include to:
- Lead and attract funding for studies in environmental and economic assessment of water systems in collaboration with colleagues in the section. The section hosts a large number of collaboration agreements on sustainability assessment of water systems that we wish to further expand
- Contribute to the section’s focus on softening of drinking water e.g. by identifying and quantifying effects of changed water hardness and the resulting impacts on environmental and economic sustainability
- Coordinate WISE (in Danish VIS), our Water DTU flagship partnership development project aimed at Danish water technology SMEs
- Coordinate our outreach program on water and sustainability to Danish high school teachers and students e.g. by preparation of teaching material in cooperation with colleagues and support of Danish participation the in annual Stockholm Junior Water Prize competition
- Supervise PhD and engineering students in the fields of LCA and Eco-efficiency assessment
- To a limited degree contribute to our teaching in BSc and MSc courses within water, environment, and bio-resources engineering
- Broadly engage in our efforts to maintain and expand our strong collaboration tradition with industry, other sections within the department and between departments at DTU.
We expect that you will develop your networking skills and use them to improve our collaboration with the best research institutions and relevant industries outside Denmark.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc.
- document didactic/pedagogic training
We are looking for a candidate with strong and documented collaboration skills and experience in building partnerships in the Danish water sector.
- You have deep insight in the Danish water technology sector and strong connections with the water utilities
- You have previous research experience within LCA and eco-efficiency of water systems
- You have experience with leading and coordinating innovation partnerships between SMEs and researchers
- You are able to teach and communicate in in both Danish and English
- You are motivated by both individual and team accomplishments
- You thrive on collaboration and teamwork
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Potential for network facilitation and development in the Danish and international water sector.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section Hans-Jørgen Albrechtsen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +45 4525 1586.
You can read more about DTU Environment at www.env.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 22 April 2019 (local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.