Senior Researcher in Bioactive compounds from sustainable seafood processing
If you are establishing your career as scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it is right here in front of you.
If you are establishing your career as scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it is right here in front of you. At DTU Food you will break new ground at the absolute forefront of what is possible within the research field of utilization of side-streams from food processing for the production of new ingredients with functional and/or bioactive properties.
Your research will include extraction of compounds with bioactive and functional properties from side-streams from food processing, characterization of their properties and investigation of possible applications in foods and dietary supplements. This research field is one of the focus areas for the Research Group for Bioactives – Analysis and Application. The group has a dynamic staff with high international visibility, many research collaborations with leading international universities and organisations and a successful track record of national and international research projects.
Responsibilities and qualifications
Your overall focus will be to strengthen the department’s competences within sustainable food processing with particular focus on the utilization of seafood side-streams. You will work with nearby colleagues, and with both academic and industrial partners in Denmark. Your primary tasks will be to:
- Use different techniques to extract, modify and concentrate bioactive compounds such as proteins, lipids, pigments and flavouring compounds.
- Characterize the physico-chemical and functional properties of the extracted compounds such as emulsifying, antioxidant, interfacial and flavouring properties using techniques such as in vitro antioxidant assays, oscillating pendant drop analysis, UHPLC, LC-MS and GC-MS analysis
- Help the industry to implement the developed solutions
- Engage in teaching, innovation and advisory activities in relation to food technology in a broad sense. Teaching activities will include supervision of MSc and BSc student projects and co-supervision of PhD students.
- Engage in collaboration with industry and authorities.
- You must contribute to teaching at the Department. You will be expected to learn Danish and be able to teach in Danish after 3 years. DTU can provide Danish language courses.
As a formal qualification you must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc for more than two years. Furthermore you must have:
- Documented research experience in the field of bioactive compounds from seafood and their functional properties
- Experience with extraction of bioactive compounds
- Experience with characterization of physico-chemical and functional properties of bioactive compounds
- Experience with teaching on several levels. Documented didactic/pedagogic training is an advantage.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Experience and quality of teaching
- International impact of research
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The salary for the position will be determined by the applicants qualifications and in agreement with the relevant union. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
The period of employment is 24 months and we expect the successful candidate to start 1 April 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
You can read more about DTU Food at www.food.dtu.dk
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Please submit your online application no later than 28 January 2021 (Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/)
- Your experience with fund raising from external competitive grants
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
You can learn more about the recruitment process here.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder