Senior Researcher in Antibiotic Discovery from Streptomyces Secondary Metabolism
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Researcher to join our highly international research center, The Novo Nordisk Foundation for Biosustainability, Technical University of Denmark, and become part of the New Bioactive Compounds (NBC) section headed by Prof. Sang Yup Lee and Co-PI Prof. Tilmann Weber.
The New Bioactive Compounds section at DTU Biosustain is working on the interface of computational biology, metabolic engineering and natural products research and aims to develop and implement innovative technologies to discover and produce new antimicrobials.
The successful candidate will work on projects at the interface of analytical chemistry, microbiology, automation, computational biology, and metabolic engineering. He or she will be responsible for coordinating, developing and carrying out the screening, compound isolation and compound characterization activities of the NBC section. Secondarily, he or she will contribute to metabolic engineering of native and heterologous producers.
Responsibilities and tasks
The main focus of the positions covers the following topics:
- Implement and improve the existing adaptive laboratory evolution-based screening technology to generate novel cellular phenotypes.
- Develop and implement protocols to isolate bioactive compounds from complex mixtures using HPLC and other separation techniques
- Characterize bioactive molecules for potency, toxicity, and other properties to determine suitability for further drug development
- Perform field work to isolate new actinomycetes and maintain and characterize all strains within the collection.
In addition to the above, we expect the successful candidate to
- provide input to guide computational metabolic modelling of Streptomyces metabolism, especially as it is applied to engineering native and heterologous hosts for antibiotic production
- train, supervise and motivate colleagues in all phases of operation
- support and strengthen the translational focus of DTU Biosustain
Furthermore, it is expected that the successful candidate actively engages in collaborations within the section, DTU Biosustain, and other DTU departments / centers.
The position is closely embedded into the drug discovery workflow of the NBC section. Therefore, a very close interaction with colleagues working on steps that follow the screening, isolation, and characterization of new molecules is essential.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as Researcher or Postdoc.
- Extensive knowledge of secondary metabolite biosynthesis and actinomycete biology
- Demonstrated experience with adaptive laboratory evolution to generate novel phenotypes
- Demonstrated experience with multiple extraction techniques, e.g. liquid-liquid, solid-liquid, SPE, etc.
- Demonstrated experience isolating pure natural products from complex mixtures using HPLC-MS and other separation technologies
- Demonstrated experience constructing, implementing, and using metabolic network reconstructions to guide biological discovery
- Practical, hands-on experience with robotics and automation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the drug discovery process, from hit discovery through lead optimization
- Excellent publication record and/or a track record of innovation, e.g. through the submission and issuance of patents
- Demonstrated experience leading small teams and achieving milestones on time
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Please submit your online application no later than 9 May 2018.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg", fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Views regarding research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder