Scientific software developer for large international research infrastructure
The European Spallation Source (ESS) is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source.
The European Spallation Source (ESS) is hiring motivated and inspiring people from across the globe to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in a range of fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
We are looking for an experienced Python developer to work as scientific software developer for our team in Copenhagen, Denmark!
Do you want to play a central role in developing our high-performant scipp framework for processing and visualization of multidimensional experimental data?
The developer will become a member of the Data Reduction, Analysis and Modelling (DRAM) group and part of the Data Management and Software Centre (DMSC). We are using Python combined with modern C++ and constantly strive to improve our skills and stay abreast of modern scientific software development.
About the team
The tasks and responsibilities of the DRAM team include but are not limited to:
- providing software and support for data processing for all the beamlines at ESS. This software is critical for making experiments at ESS successful.
- providing the processing software scipp for the critical step between data acquisition and data analysis of instrument data. This is the so-called data reduction step that makes acquired detector counts and associated metadata scientifically useable. It is crucial for the ability to deliver science that the data reduction step works as efficiently as possible.
- engages in international open source software and research projects. Examples of other software projects that the group leads or contributes to are SasView, SpinW, and easyDiffraction. Characteristic for that software is that they will take the outcome from scipp as input for further data analysis.
- collaborating with other research infrastructures internationally.
About the role
As the successful candidate and our future scientific software developer you will:
- Collaboratively develop scipp for neutron data processing for the ESS in coordination with external collaborators and stakeholders at ESS.
- Take responsibility and lead in subareas of the software in a small team of developers.
- Contribute and develop ideas in an environment thriving on the individual's ability to understand and correctly interpret high-level requirements.
We believe that you have:
- M.S. in Data Science, Computer Science or natural sciences. A PhD is an additional asset.
- the ability to work in diverse international teams.
- experience in evaluation of requirements, and development of large mission critical software frameworks, using modern software development practices in C++ and Python.
Key requirements for the role include:
- Very good Python knowledge.
- Good C++ knowledge.
- Experience with modern software development tools and techniques, such as version control, unit testing, and agile workflows, are essential.
- Understanding of software quality throughout the software lifecycle.
- Ability to take responsibility for delivering scientific subareas. This involves independently working with scientists to gather and distill requirements including understanding the basics of the underlying physics.
Good to have but not essential:
- Experience with development of open source software in the Python ecosystem; dependency management; CI/CD and software architecture.
- Experience in performance optimization and parallelization techniques such as multi-threading.
- Experience with instrumentation and experimental work performed at photon or neutron sources or similar.
What ESS will offer
At ESS you will:
- get an opportunity to contribute to the future discoveries within neutron science
- work in an international environment filled with innovative minds and people from all over the world.
- receive a market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities, and achievements as well as a competitive pension plan.
- get 30 days of annual leave in addition to public holidays and a focus on work life balance.
- when eligible, make use of the ESS Relocation package for moving to Denmark.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent and your work place will be situated in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For this role, ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and will be applicable in the final part of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is June 07, 2022 please note that we will review applications continuously, so kindly submit your application at the earliest convenience.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Torben Roland Nielsen, Acting Group Leader for Data Analysis & Modelling Group, email@example.com
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving your application!
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.