DTU Civil and Mechanical Engineering invites applications for a professorship in the Section for Design and Processes.
The Section for Design and Processes covers design of new facilities as well as retrofitting of existing facilities in the built environment based on research within building design in Denmark and the Arctic, architectural engineering, fire safety, process modelling and, interoperable building information modelling. We have a holistic cross-disciplinary focus and always strive to include partners in our research activities to develop technical solutions that can enable the green transition of the built environment.
The professorship is dedicated to sustainability in civil engineering focusing on buildings and transportation infrastructures. As climate impact and resource consumption in the construction industry and the built environment is monumental, we are obliged to contribute to sustainable change, and the professor will do so by developing and applying unbiased and research-based sustainability assessment methods to Civil Engineering including functionality, technic, processes, design, and risks. This will be pursued in collaboration with generic approaches and other domain specific activities at DTU.
Responsibilities and qualifications
As a professor in sustainable buildings and construction, you are expected to play a leading role in the further academic development of the disciplines covered by the section. You will contribute to education, research, and development of at least two of the following areas:
- Building and infrastructure design methods taking sustainability into account
- Circular construction and building design, e.g., design for disassembly, second life components or risks in reuse
- Integration of sustainability and risk assessment for civil engineering design methods and solutions
- Science based sustainability assessment methods for buildings and building components
Other primary tasks involve:
- Take a lead role in fundraising
- Interdisciplinary collaborative research and innovation projects at national and international level
- Services to public administrations, standardization, and the industry
- Dissemination of research results through scientific publications and towards the industry
- Administrative duties including academic assessment work on all levels
You are expected to operate within an interdisciplinary research team as well as actively collaborate with other research groups at DTU and other universities.
You have a strong, proven track record in research, and education on a high international level within assessment of sustainable performance in the built environment and you are familiar with the complexity of the construction industry and stakeholder positions.
You are enthusiastic about teaching and interaction with students, and you have successful experience in teaching and student supervision in one or more of the disciplines covered by the Section. Furthermore, you
- Have a strong profile in research documented through original publications and citations in international scientific journals and conference proceedings
- Have a demonstrated track record in research funding
- Have documented experiences in international standardization
- Have a strong international network
- Are creative, innovative, driven by scientific curiosity, and eager to collaborate with students, colleagues, and external partners
- Have good communication skills in English and preferably also in Danish or another Scandinavian language, both written and spoken
You are an experienced research group and project manager, and you believe in dialogue and feedback as the basis for sound decision-making.
You are expected to take a lead role in teaching at the BEng, BSc, MSc and PhD levels.
DTU employs two working languages: Danish and English. You are expected to be fluent in at least one of these languages, and in time are expected to master both.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Documented experience and quality of teaching and curriculum development
- Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Department Hans Nørgaard Hansen, tel.: +45 4525 4816 or Head of Section Jan Karlshøj, phone +45 4020 4608.
You can read more about Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering at www.construct.dtu.dk. ;
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 29 July 2022 (Danish time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/)
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
You can learn more about the recruitment process here.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.