Professor in Bioinformatics with a focus on Immunology
The Bioinformatics section at DTU Health Tech has its main research and teaching activities in bio-medical and bio-technological informatics, metagenomics, epidemiology, integrative systems biology, and machine learning. Our research at the Bioinformatics section is focused on bioinformatics and computational analyses of large amounts of data generated within biological, biomedical and biotechnological and life sciences area. The section has many international and national collaborations including industrial and clinical partners.
We are looking for a professor in Bioinformatics with experience in applying methods from computer science and bioinformatics to the study and modeling of the immune system. Fundamental questions in immunology that can be addressed using bioinformatics methods include understanding the rules that define antigen-processing and -presentation by MHC molecules, the interaction of MHC-presented peptides with T cell receptors, and the interaction of B-cell receptors with their cognate antigen target. In the modern era of personalized medicine, being able to model and predict these pathways and interactions is key to manipulating the immune system and designing strategies for therapeutic intervention.
Responsibilities and tasks
The section for Bioinformatics at DTU Health Tech has played a key role in bringing the field of immunological bioinformatics forward and establishing it as an integrated part of immunological research within T- and B-cell epitope mapping and characterization. The successful candidate is expected to contribute to this strong position through front-line research and innovation within the field. Beyond continuation of the current research within MHC antigen presentation and epitope prediction, this includes expanding into the area of T- and B-cell receptor repertoire characterization. Further, the candidate should lead developments of our engineering education within the general area of bioinformatics and machine learning. In particular, the candidate will:
- Maintain and further develop current state-of-the-art tools for prediction of MHC antigen presentation
- Develop state-of-the-art tools for prediction of the cognate targets for T- and B-cell receptors
- Maintain and further develop current state-of-the-art tools for prediction of T cell epitopes in general and cancer neo-epitopes in particular
- Maintain and enforce the position of DTU as one of the leading machine-learning and immunoinformatics research institutions and to ensure DTU as a first choice of contact for industrial and academic research collaborations within these fields
- Establish and/or maintain a worldwide network of collaborations with leading research groups within experimental cellular immunology and immunoinformatics
The successful candidate is expected to take a leading role in teaching at the BSc, MSc, and PhD levels. For international candidates, DTU can provide Danish language courses enabling the candidates to teach in Danish within 2-3 years.
Candidates should have a well-documented international recognition within Bioinformatics and Machine Learning, and the application of such tools in the field of immunology. In particular, the candidate must have in-depth knowledge and experience within development and application of
- Artificial neural networks
- Hidden Markov models
- Heuristic optimization techniques such as Gibbs sampling
Further, the candidate must have documented success for raising grants and experience for mentoring young researchers. The successful candidate should also be able to document teaching experience at all university levels in bioinformatics.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Documented experience and quality of teaching and curriculum development
- Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Internationally recognized research within bioinformatics and machine learning,
- Scientific production at international level, research potential and ability to lead and develop a research team including experience with mentoring young researchers
- The ability to promote and utilize research results
- Outreach and international research networks
- The ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation visions within the research area
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section, Professor Anders Gorm Pedersen at email@example.com.
You can read more about DTU Health Tech at www.healthtech.dtu.dk/english. ;
Please submit your online application no later than 1 August 2020 (23:59 local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- A vision for future research
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.