Principal Scientist with a background in microbiology and biological safety
Chr. Hansen’s Human Health & Microbiome Innovation division is looking for a Principal Scientist in microbiology with a strong background in the safety evaluation of strains.
This is an interesting position and an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in the development of next generation probiotics and live biotherapeutic bacteria to improve health by building a strong portfolio of scientific data to support our contract development and manufacturing business. The work is varied, with both evolving needs and fast growth, and will involve providing key scientific support to our customers, operations, and commercial development.
Your role and responsibilities
- Evaluate the safety of strains intended for use as next generation probiotics or live biotherapeutics, taking into account the different stages of product development from lab- to production-scale, and ultimately use in clinical trials or as a product on the market.
- Generate safety assessment reports and statements on strains for product registrations and legal authorities.
- Interact with and support stakeholders both internally (strain intake, process, analytics, production, regulatory, QA/QC, commercial development, etc.) and externally (customers, regulatory authorities, etc.)
The ideal candidate holds a PhD in microbiology or related discipline and has at least 8 years’ relevant professional experience. Further, it is essential that you have a good understanding of health and safety procedures, regulations and guidelines relevant to microbiological labs and production sites, as well as microbiological products intended for consumption or use by humans. Additionally, you…
- Must have strong knowledge and practical experience in gene to function analysis, as well as microbiology and cell-culture based assays relevant to the evaluation of strain safety. Experience with toxicological testing is desirable.
- Have a strong scientific and professional track record, preferably with a publication record in peer-reviewed journals, in a relevant field.
- Must have hands-on lab experience and a good understanding of experimental design, including the limitations of some methods for certain applications.
- Are practically orientated, able to develop new methods and SOPs, and implement these.
- Have experience with environmental health and safety procedures and regulations, risk assessment and management, documentation, GxP or other relevant quality management systems and are ideally familiar with working in commercially-orientated or applied science.
- Have a good understanding of the human microbiome field and an interest in probiotics and live biotherapeutics, including their potency and potential safety concerns.
On the more personal side you...
- Have excellent stakeholder management skills and enjoy working as part of a team and engaging and sharing knowledge with a variety of internal (commercial development, scientists, operations, regulatory, QA/QC) and external (customers, regulatory agencies, auditors, etc.) stakeholders.
- Have the ability and willingness to drive own projects, take on new tasks, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and prioritise work to meet deadlines.
- Have excellent spoken and written English skills.
You will join a team of dedicated colleagues in Human Health & Microbiome Innovation and will have the opportunity to work in close collaboration with different departments. The role is mainly office-based, and you will have access to support by scientists and technicians in the lab and bioinformatics expertise. You will be based in Hørsholm (near Copenhagen) and will report to the Screening Department Manager.
For more information and application
If you have any questions related to this position, please contact Gemma Henderson at e-mail: email@example.com.
The application deadline is August 11, 2019. To apply for this role, please submit your CV with a cover letter.
Do you want to pioneer science and improve food and health for more than 1 billion people every day?
At Chr. Hansen, we work to improve food and health and our natural ingredients are consumed by more than 1 billion people every day.
Our success is built on more than 140 years of innovation and a commitment to ensure the wider adoption of natural ingredients. This allows us to expand innovations into new areas, and to continue working towards a better world. As a global market leader in bioscience, we have the opportunity to address important global challenges such as food waste, healthy living and sustainable agriculture - and we need the brightest and most passionate people on board to succeed. Want to join us?
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.