The Discovery and Process functions of the R&D Microbial Platform in Chr. Hansen A/S invite applications for a PhD student position in the field of bacterial systems biology using Bifidobacteria as model organisms.
Bifidobacteria are widely used as probiotics in various commercial products owing to their well-documented health-promoting properties. Despite numerous clinical studies demonstrating their beneficial effects to human health or elucidating underlying mechanisms, the physiological and metabolic characteristics of bifidobacteria remain to be explored in greater depth.
The project is partially funded by Innovation Fund Denmark (Innovationsfonden) and is carried out in collaboration with Chalmers University of Technology. The candidate will be enrolled for PhD education at Chalmers University of Technology for a period of 4 years. The placement of the PhD candidate will be at both Chr. Hansen in Hørsholm, Denmark (~70%) and Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden (~30%).
- The PhD project aims at employing state-of-the-art constraint-based modeling and data-driven approaches, combined with thorough physiological characterization, to gain deeper insights into the physiology and metabolism of industrially important Bifidobacterium species. The primary objective will be to identify the factors influencing growth and stability of probiotic bifidobacteria
- Reconstructing the metabolic network of a selected Bifidobacterium strain on a genome-wide scale
- Optimizing the cultivation of representative bifidobacterial strains in a chemically defined medium in lab-scale bioreactors
- Generating various omics data, primarily metabolomics and transcriptomics, for achieving systems-level understanding of the physiology of bifidobacteria
- Omics data analysis and integration
- Identifying the correlation between the fermentation process parameters and growth yield and stability of bifidobacteria
- Participating in the preparation of internal reports and scholarly articles for publications
- MSc degree in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Microbial Biotechnology or similar
- In-depth understanding of microbial physiology and metabolism
- Hands-on experience with lab-scale bioreactors
- Basic command of Matlab, Python and/or R.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a dynamic, multicultural and interdisciplinary environment
We offer a PhD position for four years and a stimulating, international workplace within a professional organization focused on linking solid scientific research to business opportunities.
If you have any questions for the position, please feel free to contact Ahmad Zeidan, Principal Scientist (Discovery; phone: +45 4574 8361) or Anisha Goel, Research Scientist (Process; email: email@example.com, phone: +45 4574 8364 ).
Please apply online via the "Ansøg" link. Here you can enter your details into our CV-bank.
Deadline for applications is September 30. Read more about working for Chr. Hansen at: www.chr-hansen.com/career.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder
Tlf.: +45 4574 8361
Chr. Hansen is a global bioscience company that develops natural ingredient solutions for the food, nutritional, pharmaceutical and agricultural industries. All solutions are based on strong research and development competencies and significant technology investments. The company enjoys market leadership in all its