Wood Thilsted is a consulting engineering company specialised in geotechnical and structural engineering within the offshore renewable energy industry. We are operating globally with projects located in Asia, North America and Northern Europe. We currently employ a staff of 130, working from offices in Denmark, Japan, Taiwan and the UK with a continued growth foreseen in the near future.
As a company, we strive for technical excellence and to provide the best overall value to our clients’ projects. We also aim to have a strong culture based on mutual trust, honesty, knowledge sharing and a good social atmosphere.
We have a number of large detailed design projects in offshore wind, as well as a continuous stream of concept and FEED studies, plus design work on several innovative concepts (outside of the currently accepted foundation concepts for offshore wind) including floating structures. We continue to strengthen the way we manage these diverse projects, implementing state of the art project management thinking, and we are seeking talented people to join the team.
The primary work location will be one of or offices in Århus, Vejle, Copenhagen, London, Edinburgh or Bristol. However, given our teams, clients and projects are spread internationally across Northern Europe, North America and East Asia, you may expect some travelling in relation to your work, both nationally and internationally. In addition, there may be opportunities during your employment for long-term or short-term postings abroad.
Areas of responsibility: As a Lead Engineer within the Transport & Installation team, your main responsibilities will be to liaise with our clients on technical topics, to coordinate and direct the work of others, and to undertake analyses of lifting or transportation and installation of items associated with offshore wind construction work. You will be expected to model structures subject to loading and support conditions considering operations onshore and offshore, onboard a variety of vessels and subject to various handling and installation devices. This is typically as part of our detailed design projects. To a lesser degree, and moderated by our workload and your appetite, it may include modelling and assessments of installation or in-service activities for floating offshore wind turbines. In your role, you will:
- Plan the analysis and assessment work and identify and collect the required input data.
- Prepare Design Basis documentation outlining design methodologies for review by third parties
- Build the required models, typically in a finite element package, such as Comsol or Abaqus.
- Apply the loading consistent with the design basis, and run the models.
- Evaluate the analysis output, understanding the appropriate limits of stress or strain, and suggest changes to structure, handling methodology, analysis methodology, load factors or other aspect, in order to achieve accurate and acceptable results.
- Quality check the work delivered
As a skilled analyst and designer, you will undertake tasks from time to time outside of the T&I team, such as pile driving dynamic analyses or evaluation of structural details in steel or concrete to derive stress concentration factors or design assessments for primary steel.
Your background: You should hold a master’s degree or higher in structural or mechanical engineering. You are likely to have been undertaking T&I assessments in a structural environment for an engineering consultant or contractor.
It is essential that you:
- Are an experienced user of finite element software packages to undertake T&I assessments, ideally Abaqus. You should be competent to carry out these kinds of analyses and to supervise others;
- Have an excellent understanding of stress and strain in structures, and how the results of finite element analysis relate to the physical reality of engineering materials.
- Can write Design Brief documentation to describe the methodology for your work in a format suitable for Clients and Certifiers.
- Are familiar with latest design codes and standards pertaining to the design of offshore structures, including those that specifically relate to finite element structural analysis
- Are able to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, consultants and contractors through a variety of media, including both web-based telecommunication and face-to-face meetings;
- Are a team player;
- Are pro-active in your efforts to engage with others;
- Demonstrate a strong drive to fulfil your assignments, and a willingness to take the initiative when faced with opportunities to exceed expectations;
- Possess excellent numeracy, literacy, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Are fluent in the use of standard office software such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.;
Furthermore, it is advantageous if you have experience of the following:
- Proven, relevant experience as a T&I engineer in the wind turbine industry;
- Developing bespoke software/scripts, especially targeting streamlined/automated processes/reporting workflows, using Matlab scripts or Python.
In return we offer you excellent opportunities to influence your daily work, develop new competences and work on interesting projects. At Wood Thilsted, we care about our people and we are committed to a brighter future. We have defined our set of values and behaviors that are at the heart of everything we do. Our work environment is a place where everyone can be themselves and be their best. We are result-orientated and innovation-driven at a high professional level and with excellence in delivery. Besides this we also offer competitive salary packages, pension, health and life insurance as well as flexibility in working hours and locations.
Any questions: Please reach out to Angela Holst International HR Business: email@example.com
Apply: Please apply using the link: http://woodthilsted.com/careers/ where you will have the opportunity to upload a CV and enter your details for consideration.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.
You can read more about us by visiting our website: https://www.woodthilsted.com/ or our Linkedin page for the newest updates.
Wood Thilsted is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees. While we do not use closing dates, Wood Thilsted reserve the right to close a role at any time.