In the capital of Sierra Leone, Freetown, many of the communities are affected every year by recurring and progressive floods and heat waves, because of climate change. Together with our local partner World Hope International Sierra Leone (WHI-SL), we are to implement small-scale technical climate adaptation and WASH interventions in order to strengthening the capacity of the local communities to resist climate change. For that work, EWB-DK is looking for an intern who can carry out the following tasks:
- In collaboration with WHI-SL team, study and prepare description of the climate impact on WASH infrastructure and buildings in the communities (effect on buildings, effect on foundation, effect on walls, effect on roof and on internal floors).
- Support identifying ways of adapting to climate change using a nature-based approach.
- Support our partners identifying measures to limit the impact of climate change including more climate robust WASH infrastructure.
- Support on mapping of topography and geomorphology within and around the communities.
- Attend stakeholder meetings, workshops etc.
- Support on communication between the field, WHI, and the EWB-DK project group in Denmark.
- Provide inputs to progress reports in line with the requirements of EWB-DK and partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Technical education (at least B. Sc) in engineering with a professional interest in the effects of climate and adaptation related to infrastructure including water supply.
- Interest in development cooperation and understanding of working with other cultures.
- Fluent in English.
- Previous work experience in developing countries is an advantage.
- Interested in contributing with the gained experience in EWB-DK after the internship.
- Work independently, curious and embrace new challenges.
Framework for the internship
EWB-DK covers costs for travel and insurance and provides per diem to cover board and lodging. The internship will consist of preparation in Denmark and three months in Sierra Leone (3-4 months in total). The internship will be from the beginning of September 2023. As an intern, you will be posted under the guidelines for internships at EWB-DK: https://iug.dk/praktik.
How to apply
If you’re interested, give us your information in this questionnaire: https://forms.gle/B6ubGwXw4PKZdVa57 and submit your application, CV, and other relevant documentation in one pdf-document (in English) to email@example.com as soon as possible and no later than June 16th, at 12 AM. In the subject field you write "Climate Internship Sierra Leone Fall 2023". We expect to hold interviews on June 21st – 22nd. Questions regarding the position, project and your tasks should be directed to Secretary General Dorte Lindegaard Madsen on firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. +45 70 27 40 06.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.