Interested in making your Master Thesis at the VELUX Group?
At the VELUX Group, we give you the chance to grow. To shape your own career. To work in an international environment. To be part of a company that leads the market in sustainable indoor living. We offer you a world of opportunities – if you have the ability and the drive to take them. Discover more at velux.com/career or velux.dk/karriere
At the VELUX Group’s factory in Østbirk (in Jutland), one of our major tasks is to develop and implement products and production technologies for manufacturing VELUX roof windows for homeowners and VELUX Modular Skylights for commercial buildings.
We have an ongoing portfolio of projects with assignments suitable for students at the faculty for civil engineering during their 9th or 10th semester.
The present possibilities and challenges
In our Project Management Department we offer possibilities to write Master Thesis within the following projects and subject matters:
- In our Panes department in VELTERM A/S in Brædstrup we have the challenge of improving the flow from manufacturing towards stock. The challenge is to lower the number of handlings as well as to be able to stock panes efficiently in a situation where the production of panes is increasing. This project can include automation solutions.
- In our Panes department in VELTERM A/S in Brædstrup we have the challenge of Improving the lead time and stock level of panes (Input/output flow) with the purpose to lower the lead time from 5 days to 3 days. This project includes Value Stream Mapping.
- In our Assembly department in A/S Østbirk Bygningsindustri in Østbirk we are contemplating how to utilize our data information more effective in relation to proactive maintenance with the purpose of reducing our downtime. It could also be in terms of how we can use our RFID technology on the line to gather data and convert data into actions that can help us optimize the line.
- In our Assembly department in Østbirk we plan to make a better setup between two of the processes in the assembly line. Currently there is a lot of manual handling and a buffer stock that takes up a lot of space. The purpose of the project is to improve ergonomics and minimize our buffer so that we get a more lean flow between the two processes which also will reduce waste of time and thus optimize the efficiency. This project could also include automation of the joint process.
- In our Assembly department in Østbirk we have a lot of supporting processes manufacturing components and semi-assembly of these. A project could be to consider combining main assembly with some of the supporting processes and thus obtain optimization in process time and handling of materials.
- As an overall subject on strategic level VELUX have started their Lean journey many years ago. For the production facilities in Østbirk and Brædstrup lean is still one of the strategic initiatives for the coming years whereas we must continuously develop the way we work with lean. We want to implement new lean tools and essentially lean habits both in the production and support functions. A thesis could be around implementation of a specific lean tool and the challenges around that or the next steps of an overall lean culture implementation at the factory. It is though important to mention that other assignments are also welcome within your area of lean expertise and will be discussed at a potential interview.
- Optimizing flows within VELUX is very important ensuring high delivery performance with potential lowest costs. Therefore, there will be opportunities within the logistics area where a specific assignment could be analyzing flows and come up with recommendations improving these. Another one could be warehouse
You are studying Civil Engineering or Cand. Merc. and you are interested in contributing to solve an assignment as part of your Master Thesis during your last semester.
For internships/and Masters lasting more than three months, we offer a monthly salary plus pension and other social costs to cover expenses for transportation and eventual accommodation. These and other terms regarding writing a Master Thesis at the VELUX Group will be elaborated in the interview prior to the agreement. We provide a workplace including a phone and a laptop.
Application and contact
If you are interested in knowing more about the opportunities, feel free to contact HR Manager Carsten Jensen (+45 2949 0531).
Please include a brief description of your area of interest for the internship, your CV, a description of your field of study along with a transcript of your grades and topics.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.