Head of section (Senior Researcher) in Marine Living Resources
DTU invites applications for the position of Head of Section for Marine Living Resources. The position is affiliated with the National Institute of Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua) and is based at DTU campus in Kgs. Lyngby, but with activities at other locations of the Institute.
The applicant is expected to lead the Section for Marine Living Resources, a larger research unit within the institute, which implies implementing strategic management of academic, human and other resources to bridge excellent science with meeting societal demands for sustainable use of the sea and scientific advice on the management of marine living resources.
The scientific expertise within the section spans cutting-edge science in individual biological characteristics and behaviour as well as population dynamics of exploited marine resources and their interaction with changing environmental conditions, employing field, experimental and advanced modelling approaches.
The section delivers research-based advice to national and international authorities, innovation in fishing industry and contribution to teaching in a university whose goal is to offer Europe’s best engineering education.
Responsibilities and qualifications
The Head of the Section of Marine Living Resources is responsible for academic, strategic and resource management of the section as well as active engagement in the department’s leadership helping to develop other research areas and support functions.
Required is a track record in research leadership, including strategic development, leading a multidisciplinary research group, and planning, funding, implementing as well as running interdisciplinary national and international research initiatives within the research field.
The responsibilities include inspiring and developing the high international standard of research conducted by DTU Aqua and translating basic scientific findings from experimental and field studies into assessment of and advice on marine living resources and their management.
This requires a track record in research, addressing the ecology of marine organisms, from individual to population level at different spatial and temporal scales. The section consists of four research areas:
- Fish Biology
- Population Genetics
- Population ecology and stock assessment
- Statistical modelling of complex aquatic living systems.
Covering in an integrative approach, the following aspects:
- Physiological, nutritional, and behavioral ecology in relation to environmental conditions and predator/prey interactions with field and lab studies.
- Resolving biological processes in marine fish using innovative technology, e.g. molecular, chemical and physiological approaches as well as modern observation technology.
- Life history characterization and description of fitness optimization at individual and/or population level.
- Estimating key population dynamic rates, e.g. growth, mortality as well as reproductive investment and success based on research surveys and experimental studies applying above listed approaches.
- Operationalizing of process-information and -models with implementation in population dynamic models, fish stock assessments and stock predictions.
The head of the section will be responsible for coordinating the advisory tasks conducted by the section, which is expected to be done in close cooperation with the institute’s Director of Public Sector Consultancy, other research units in the department and at the University, and relevant national and international research groups.
We expect you to engage in teaching and training a new generation of scientists in the field of Marine Living Resources. DTU employs two working languages: Danish and English. You are expected to be fluent in at least one of these languages, and in time are expected to master both.
Results should be disseminated in peer reviewed publications and dedicated outlets aiming to inform management authorities, stakeholders and the public at large and foster national and international collaboration.
As a formal qualification you must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a senior researcher. To be appointed as a senior researcher, you must have completed a didactic/pedagogic education. If you do not have the necessary education, then it is possible to complete this requirement within a period of two years of appointment.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Research experience
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research vision and potential
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Institute Director Fritz Köster, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, cell phone: +45 21362805 or Vice director Anders Koed, email: email@example.com, cell phone: +45 21685641.
You can read more about DTU Aqua on www.aqua.dtu.dk
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 24 April 2023 (Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply now", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/)
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
You can learn more about the recruitment process here.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.