Do you have management and leadership skills as well as a solid scientific background within composite materials for wind energy? Do you want to contribute to a central part of an internationally leading centre of a highly reputed technical university? Are you visionary and will you take charge of further development of the section with close ties to the industry?
DTU Wind Energy is a department at the Technical University of Denmark located on the DTU Risø Campus in Roskilde, close to Greater Copenhagen. The overall mission is to develop and create value using the natural and technical sciences and focusing on wind energy for the benefit of society. This includes research and education in siting and integration, wind turbine technology, and offshore wind energy as well as scientific advice and testing and other research-based services. The department is an internationally leading centre in wind energy and cooperates with industry and institutions worldwide.
You will be Head of Section for Composite Materials (COM). The section has 18 employees, consisting of Researchers, Development Engineers, Technicians, Postdoc’s, and PhD students.
Section of Composite Materials (COM) focuses on processing, characterisation and mechanical testing of composite materials. The section is based on the experimental facilities in Fiberlab, Testlab and Plasmalab. Scientific and engineering disciplines within composite processing techniques, resin cure kinetics, microstructural characterisation, accredited and advanced mechanical testing, loading fixtures and test methods, micromechanical models and laminate theory, surface erosion testing, surface treatment and characterisation.
Your areas of responsibility
- Contribute to the strategic development of the section and the department as a whole
- Professional development, coordination and quality assurance of research and innovation activities as well as research applications and other project acquisitions
- Contribute to the section activities, including research and innovation as project leader or expert
- Development of the staff and COM section competences
- Daily management of the section including planning, resource management and budgetary control
- Contribute to both research and activities towards students
- Be an active part of the department leadership group
- Ensuring communication and dissemination of section activities to professional and non-professional interest groups
- Keeping up and widening contacts and collaboration with national and international partners from the wind industry and universities
Visionary people manager with experience within composite materials
The ideal candidate can be recognized in the following description:
- Good people management and visionary and motivating leadership skills
- Experience in strategic management as well as resource management of specialist profiles, preferably research teams with academic and technical staff
- Several years of professional experience within processing, characterisation and mechanical testing of composite materials
- A strong international network within composite materials and wind energy
- Academic education, preferably on the PhD-level
- Experience with project management
- Experience in obtaining internal and external funding is preferable
- Full of initiative with strong communication skills
- Proficiency in English and Danish is mandatory, alternatively willingness to learn Danish
What DTU offers in return
We offer a challenging job in an international environment focusing on research, education, innovation, and authority services beneficial for the society. There is a high focus on developing professional competences and the job offers great flexibility. The workplace is in one of the most beautiful locations in Denmark.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation, and scientific advice. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
DTU is continuously working to professionalize management. The work is specified in the DTU Leadership Role, which describes DTU’s expectations of the professional and personal competences of its managers. The DTU Leadership Role is based on four cornerstones: Academic management, Resource management, People management, and Strategic management. In addition, handling a leadership role at DTU is contingent on the individual manager bringing personal leadership into play. This means, for example, that all managers have an eye for supporting the generation of results through interaction between people. To find out more about DTU’s Leadership Role, see the website.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be for a fixed term and based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position can be adjusted equivalent to your scientific qualifications.
Application and contact
DTU welcomes applications for the position as Head of Section.
Please submit your online application no later than 1 October 2018. Apply vit the "Ansøg" link.
Open the “Apply online” link, fill out the form and attach your motivated application, CV (in English or Danish). Preferably also relevant exam certificates and publications list.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Department Peter Hauge Madsen, +45 4677 5001 or HR Partner Henrik Stein, +45 2917 0717
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion, or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder