DTU Tenure Track Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in Quantitative Food Microbiology
The National Food Institute at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) invites applications for a tenure track position as assistant or associate professor in Quantitative Food Microbiology.
The assistant or associate professor will join the Research Group for Food Microbiology and Hygiene. The group contributes to healthy and safe food through quantitative studies of the microbial ecology of food products as affected by product characteristics, processing and packaging. The Research Group has excellent laboratory facilities to conduct experimental research using cell cultures, Class 2 pathogens and GMO at levels 1 and 2.
The assistant professor position is part of DTU’s Tenure Track program. We provide you with the best conditions including a mentor, state-of-the-art research infrastructure, teacher training and relevant networks. After a maximum of 6 years you will be evaluated by an external assessment committee, and if evaluated positively, you will acquire a permanent associate professor position.
Responsibilities and tasks
You will become part of the scientific staff and will be expected to develop an externally funded research program in quantitative food microbiology with academic partners inside and outside DTU as well as industry and government agencies.
You will become responsible for creating and executing research projects to develop predictive models for the survival or growth of microorganisms of interest in foods based on processing techniques, product formulation and distribution. The overall objective of your research is expected to center on predictive models to evaluate and manage food quality and safety.
Moreover, you will be expected to teach within the area of food microbiology and hygiene, with emphasis on quantitative food microbiology. Completion of UDTU (DTU’s pedagogical course for university teaching) is expected.
You will contribute to the research group by:
- Conducting world-class research in quantitative food microbiology
- Scientific interactions and collaboration with colleagues and internal and external network (universities/government agencies/industry)
- Development of new externally funded projects
- Dissemination of results in international scientific journals and at conferences
- Teaching courses and supervising projects for B.Eng., M.Sc.Eng. and Ph.D. students
Candidates for an:
- assistant professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- associate professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship and documented didactic/pedagogic training
You must have a PhD degree in a relevant area and have solid knowledge and experience in quantitative microbiology, including microbial and chemical analyses of food. Completion of a postdoc in a relevant research area is an asset. Priority will be given to applicants with documented experience in the following areas:
- General food microbiology (microbial ecology, challenge experiments)
- Quantitative microbial modelling in foods
- External research fund raising
- Systematic approach to project work and planning
- Good collaborative and networking skills
- Good English communication skills, orally as well as written.
- Ability to teach and communicate in Danish (or commitment to learn Danish within 2-3 years)
Assistant Professor position
To be a successful Tenure Track candidate, you will meet DTU’s Tenure Track requirements. You have documented teaching experience and have experience in supervising students from the Bachelor to PhD level. You are among the best research talents in your field with the potential to reach the highest international level. You have documented scientific production at the highest international level and can document initiative for independent and original project ideas. You have the personal drive and potential to attract external funding for research activities and you thrive in a multidisciplinary work environment.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Tenure Track at DTU – Assistant Professor position
DTU offers talented scientists from around the world attractive career perspectives via the DTU Tenure Track Programme. Highly qualified candidates are appointed as assistant professors for a period of up to six years with the prospect of performance-based advancement to a tenured associate professor position.
As part of the tenure track position, the candidate receives:
- Access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure
- Capability development, including postgraduate teacher training
- A mentoring programme
- Support to develop scientific networks and to secure interdisciplinary research at the highest level
- As part of the DTU Tenure Track Programme, the University carries out a mid-way evaluation to review the progress of the tenure track candidate, according to the same criteria used in the final tenure review. If the final review is positive, the candidate will be offered a tenured position as Associate Professor at DTU
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. Expected start in June 1st, 2021 or soon hereafter.
Workplace is DTU Lyngby Campus, DK-2800 Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Please submit your online application no later than 15 December 2020 (local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Vision paper
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply. DTU strives to enhance diversity of our staff.
You can read more about DTU Food on www.food.dtu.dk/english/Service/About-the-institute.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 12,000 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.