We are looking for a Manager for our Strain Development Department, in the Bacterial Physiology unit, Discovery function of R&D Chr. Hansen A/S in our headquarters in Hørsholm, Denmark.
With our ambitions of 8-10% organic growth we are expanding our R&D capacity and our Strain Development activities. Being a company based on science we strive to deliver cutting edge products that arise from insights into microbial physiology and biochemistry. To this end, we apply a systems biology approach and use molecular tools for hypothesis validation. Thus, development of molecular tools for our commercial strains is required. Furthermore, in new product development the improvement of phenotypic traits in industrial strains by natural methods is core to our activities.
Hence, we seek a manager with a strong scientific background and a proven track record in strain development and molecular tool development to drive a team of skilled scientists and technicians. The manager will report to the Director of Bacterial Physiology.
Focus on management and research
As head of the Strain Development department your main task will be to manage a team of scientists and technicians, and to drive our research efforts within strain development and molecular tool development
Other tasks include:
- You will set scientific direction in your areas of responsibility
- You will be involved in internal & external research projects aiming at developing methods for natural improvement of microbial strains and developing molecular tools for industrial organisms
- You will mediate internal and external collaborations
- You will be responsible for the documentation and communication of data, communicate and discuss results with the team, manager and stakeholders
- You will secure intellectual property rights
- You will plan, prioritize and coordinate activities in the team
Scientific biological knowledge and management experience
For this position we request a solid background in industrial strain development, molecular tool development and phage biology insights. We encourage self-driven candidates that are eager to solve biological challenges by combining different scientific disciplines to generate innovative products.
- A PhD in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Microbial Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent is mandatory.
- Documented leadership capabilities
- Documented project management experience
- Documented scientific excellence in the form of high quality publication record
- Experience in doing research in multidisciplinary environments
- Talented, proactive and independent
- Innovative and enthusiastic towards new ideas
- Multitasking and team oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
The Bacterial Physiology units aims at delivering top notch microbial leads to the Chr. Hansen value chain by applying a systems biology approach to generate the molecular and biochemical knowledge required to guide strain improvement strategies. The unit consists of three departments, Experimental Systems Biology, Computational Systems Biology and Strain Development and a total of 23 employees. The Strain Development department (7 members) develops improved microbial strains for commercial applications, phage-biology know-how and molecular tools for mechanistic studies.
As part of the Discovery organization in R&D we bridge academic research with new product development by improving our in-depth understanding of bacterial physiology to guide strain screening & improvement efforts.
We offer a permanent position and a stimulating, international workplace within a professional organization focused on linking solid scientific research to business opportunities. In addition, we offer a good team with dedicated colleagues and a comprehensive scientific network in modern research laboratories.
If you have any questions for the position, please feel free to contact Rute Neves, Director Bacterial Physiology (e-mail: email@example.com; phone: +4560431012).
Deadline for applications is August 12th, 2018.
Read more about working for Chr. Hansen at: www.chr-hansen.com/career
Do you want to help improve food and health around the world?
At Chr. Hansen, food and health is at the heart of everything we do and our natural ingredients are consumed by more than 1 billion people every day. As a global market leader in bioscience, we have the opportunity to address important global challenges such as food waste, healthy living and sustainable agriculture and we need the brightest and most passionate people on board to succeed. Want to join us?
A career with Chr. Hansen
Joining Chr. Hansen is your opportunity to make a meaningful difference while unfolding your career in a global setting. In each of our 32 global offices, you will be able to experience an agile organization that is proud to encourage an inspiring work environment and a collaborative culture full of passion to make a difference.
Our founder, Christian D. A. Hansen, was a true entrepreneur and that mentality is still very present and valued today - as we look for new talent to strengthen our team. We are always looking for people who can take charge, come up with new ideas and form their own work practice and methods.
Engagement matters to us, therefore we offer a work environment where cooperation and respect are the top priorities.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder