Associate/Assistant Professor in Image Analysis
The Section for Image Analysis and Computer Graphics at DTU Compute, invites applications for an appointment as Assistant or Associate Professor in image analysis...
The Section for Image Analysis and Computer Graphics at DTU Compute, invites applications for an appointment as Assistant or Associate Professor in image analysis. This is a permanent long-term position, where the candidate is expected to develop research image analysis and computer graphics according to the strategy of the university and the department, and by pursuing the opportunities and meeting requirements given through project collaborations. This position is available from the fall of 2018 or according to mutual agreement.
Our department DTU Compute is an internationally unique academic environment spanning the science disciplines mathematics, statistics and computer science with an engineering focus. As a result, we cover informatics and communication technologies (ICT) in their broadest sense, and we play a major role in addressing the societal challenges of the digital society where ICT is a part of every industry, service, and human endeavour.
DTU Compute strives to achieve research excellence in its basic science disciplines, to achieve technological leadership in research and innovation, and to address societal challenges in collaboration with partners at DTU and other academic institutions, nationally and internationally, and, equally important, with industry and organizations. We communicate and collaborate with leading centres and strategic partners to increase participation in major consortia.
DTU Compute plays a central role in education at all levels of the engineering programmes at DTU – both in terms of our scientific disciplines and our didactic innovation.
Responsibilities and tasks
With this position, the department wants to strengthen its capabilities in research, teaching, and innovation within image analysis. This includes expertise in computer vision, medical image analysis, machine learning, and/or other relevant field related to image analysis. We seek a candidate who is eager to pursue research ideas within the frames given by the departments research strategy, and here develop her/his research. Teaching is also a central part of the position, and the candidate should thrive in a collaborative environment involving both academic and industrial partners. The successful candidate will have excellent research potential or track record, depending on level, and will be eager to engage in high-level research.
It is expected that the candidate will develop his or her field of research in a way that complement other research activities in the section. The section covers image analysis and computer graphics in a broad sense including the range from fundamental methodological research to innovative new solutions. Being part of the technical university, research is related to societal challenges and will typically lead to value creating solutions with a large interest from industry. The section’s research areas within image analysis include:
- Medical image analysis
- Computer vision including industrial machine vision
- Image analysis for materials science
- Geo-spatial image analysis
This research is based on solid mathematics, statistics and computer science, and experience in machine learning or other statistical analysis methods is an advantage.
As faculty at DTU there are a range of tasks beyond research, teaching and innovation including development of educations, arranging workshops and seminars, project supervision of students, funding application, etc. These tasks will be defined depending on the candidate’s qualifications and interests, but an interest and curiosity in engaging in a multitude of work tasks is a must.
You are expected to participate in departmental teaching at all levels so you should value visionary and meaningful communication. The teaching will cover Bachelor-, Master- and PhD-level courses. Bachelor courses are taught in Danish, other courses in English. For international candidates, DTU offers Danish language courses for the purpose of being able to teach in Danish within the first 2-3 years.
At DTU Compute, we value knowledge sharing and cross functionality. Therefore, you are expected to cooperate and be eager to build relations with colleagues in the department and with other departments of DTU and external partners.
- Assistant professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Associate professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship and documented didactic/pedagogic training
The successful candidate must have excellent research potential and be a team player that is eager to engage in collaborative research projects.
We are seeking a person with:
- A background in computer vision, image analysis, or related fields like machine learning,
- Some experience with industrial collaborations,
- Some experience with supervision and teaching, e.g. as teaching assistant,
- An interest in application driven research,
- And has a general interest in activities that support activities in the research section, the department and DTU.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
For the specific position consideration will also be given to:
- You thrive with collaboration and teamwork.
- You believe in dialogue and feedback as the best foundation for sound decision.
- You are highly motivated by spotting and developing the potential of others.
- You are motivated by both personal and team accomplishments.
- You are energized by working with complex topics.
- You demonstrate ideas and plans for your research.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The assistant professor position is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Professor, Head of Section, Anders Bjorholm Dahl, tel.: +45 5189 6913.
You can read more about DTU Compute on www.compute.dtu.dk/english.
Please submit your online application no later than 26 August 2018 (local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg" fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for”, please indicate whether you are applying for the position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder