The Department of Management Engineering at Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate or Assistant Professor..
Associate/Assistant Professor in Business Analytics and Operations Research
The Department of Management Engineering at Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate or Assistant Professor in the area of business analytics and operations research.
You will be part of the division of Management Science at DTU’s Management Engineering Department. The division of Management Science (MS) is the largest MS division in Denmark. MS is an internationally unique academic environment spanning from operations research and operations management to management of human factors and performance in implementation processes.
The Operations Research (OR) group, in which the position is available, focuses on Operations Research approaches and covers all phases of the OR cycle: From problem analysis over model building to the development of new solutions methods and interpretation of the results. The group is internationally leading in several application areas. We cover among others: maritime optimisation, health care, public transport, sustainable transportation planning and green energy models.
Responsibilities and tasks
With this position, we strengthen our teaching and research activities in the areas of predictive, prescriptive as well as descriptive analytics, that is, the entire breadth of business analytics. The position is tightly connected to our new master programme “Business Analytics”. You will be part of the core team of lecturers in this programme and you will be expected to actively engage in the teaching and development of the program in close collaboration with the head of studies in the programme. The programme focuses on the application of business analytics methods; thus, you are expected to actively use case studies in your teaching.
We expect you to be able to teach in the following subjects:
- Descriptive analytics and data visualization
- Application of predictive analytics (clustering, machine learning, etc.)
- Application of predictive analytics (integer programming, heuristic search, stochastic optimisation)
You will also be expected to supervise student projects in the areas of teaching and be part of our efforts to engage with business and industry to strengthen the use of business analytics tools.
Since the position is based in the OR group, we expect your research interests to be within the field of Operations Research. In particular, it would be an advantage if you are interested in bridging the gap between optimisation and the other disciplines of data science.
For the position of associate professor, the candidate is expected to take a leading role in the writing of new and innovative research proposals in order to attract external funding.
For the position of assistant professor, the candidate is expected to participate in the development of research proposals.
The new Assistant/Associate Professor is expected to cooperate with colleagues across the department and across the university with other departments. Special interest is here to bridge the gap and promote collaboration with relevant research groups such as Quantitative Sustainability Assessment (QSA), Systems Analysis (SA), and Transport Modelling (TM) at the department.
Since the position is permanent, we expect candidates to eventually learn Danish. For international candidates, DTU offers Danish language courses, with the purpose of being able to teach in Danish within the first two-three years.
Candidates for an
- assistant professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- associate professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship and documented didactic/pedagogic training
For both positions, qualifications are:
- A strong interest in teaching and supervision of topics related to the area of business analytics
- A strong interest in developing the fields of predictive and prescriptive analytics and the area in-between.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to publish in international high-impact ISI journals
- Critical analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to program
- Strong ability to work effectively within and across groups
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
For the associate professor position consideration will be given to documented experience in one or more of the following topics:
- experience in supervision of MSc students
- experience in supervision of PhD students
- experience in teaching general business analytics courses and/or courses targeted toward Operations Research in general
- experience and ability to attract external funding
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The assistant professor position is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
urther information may be obtained from Associate Professor Dario Pacino, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +45 4525 1512.
You can read more about DTU Management Engineering on www.man.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 14 June 2018 (local time). Apply online via the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for” please indicate whether you are applying for position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder