Associate Professorship in Organic Chemistry
The position at DTU Chemistry at the Technical University of Denmark as Associate Professor is within Organic Chemistry with emphasis on method development in synthetic organic chemistry.
Responsibilities and qualifications
The candidate must actively take part in the promotion, development, and improvement of research and education within Organic Chemistry with emphasis on method development in synthetic organic chemistry. It is expected that the candidate has a proven track record and research plans in the field of new metal-catalyzed reactions for C-H functionalization and experimental reaction mechanism elucidation.
The candidate is expected to participate in teaching practical and theoretical organic chemistry at all levels. A significant part of the courses at the Department is taught to BSc students and most of these are given in Danish.
The candidate should be able to teach organic chemistry at an advanced level suited to last year MSc students and PhD students. Furthermore, supervision of postdocs, PhD students, and undergraduate students is expected as well as continuing education and dissemination of research results at all levels.
The candidate is expected to conduct innovative research at the highest international level and to establish an outstanding, externally funded research program in organic chemistry.
The Associate Professor should contribute to the development of the above-mentioned research areas at DTU Chemistry in fruitful collaboration with relevant staff at the department and from other departments at DTU. It is also important that the Associate Professor will engage in the increasing industrial collaboration at DTU Chemistry as well as international collaboration.
As formal qualification you must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship and documented didactic/pedagogic training.
The applicant should be able to document a strong potential and profile for research and education.
Significant achievements will be expected within research, and specifically:
- Original scientific output at an international level within experimental organic chemistry with emphasis on method development in metal catalysis, C-H functionalization, and mechanistic investigations of organic chemical reactions
- Documented and successful teaching and dissemination experience:
- Within organic chemistry at an advanced level
- Teaching record on experimental reaction mechanism elucidation
- Development of new courses or course material
Requirements for the position are:
- A strong background in, and an innovative approach to, method development in metal catalysis for organic synthesis relevant for both fundamental understanding as well as application.
- A track record of international and national academic cross-disciplinary collaborations.
- Experience in application-oriented research and industrial collaboration.
- Experience with asymmetric catalysis
- Experience with development of new catalytic methods relevant for medicinal chemistry
- Documented course development
- Documented ability to attract funding
Candidates also must have a record of excellence in research as demonstrated by publications in top ranked and field relevant academic journals, patents, and presentations at significant conferences.
You must be responsible for the teaching of courses. You will be expected to learn Danish and be able to teach in Danish after 3 years. DTU can provide Danish language courses.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The salary for the position will be determined by the applicant’s qualifications and in agreement with the relevant union. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Jens Duus, tel.: +45 45 25 24 51
You can read more about the department at https://www.kemi.dtu.dk/english
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Please submit your online application no later than 13 December 2021 (Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/)
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
You can learn more about the recruitment process here.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder