An Associate Professor position is available in the ‘Mucosal Immunology’ group headed by Professor William Agace, DTU Nanotech, the Technical University of Denmark, Kgs. Lyngby.
The ‘Mucosal Immunology’ group currently consists of 12-15 people, including Postdocs, PhD students, Technicians and undergraduate students.
The overall aim of the research group is to gain novel insight into generation of adaptive immunity in the gastrointestinal tract during health and disease, through use and development of novel technologies.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Associate professor will run research projects in the field of mucosal immunology, including applying for individual grants. In addition, the Associate professor will be responsible for managing the day-to-day running of the Mucosal Immunology laboratory and have tasks in relation to development, running and administration of university courses. The division between the tasks is flexible and will vary through the academic year to match teaching and course leadership-duties.
Research: Specific tasks of the research-position include:
- Run independent research projects in the field of mucosal immunology
- Apply for grants to fund independent research projects
- Participate in supervision of Master/PhD students and Post docs
- Provide practical support to ongoing research project(s) in the group
- Facilitate that day-to-day running of the laboratory
- Responsibility for ethical permits
- Administrative duties (invoices, organization of conferences/retreats, coordination of activities between the PI’s research groups at DTU and Lund University, Sweden)
- Provide grant writing support to the PI and Postdoctoral fellows
Education: The Mucosal Immunology group together with other groups of the department strives to increase its teaching activities, with the long-term goal of implementing an Immunology Master-program, or an Immunology-track within existing Master-programs at DTU. Hence, the section is currently building up its portfolio of Immunology-related courses. The Associate professor is expected to contribute to the teaching activities in several ways, including:
- Develop courses and provide support to other lecturers during course development
- Course-leadership of “Mucosal Immunology” (course on Master level at DTU Nanotech)
- Teaching (lecturing, group exercises and journal clubs) on Immunology-related courses
- Participate in the planning of implementation of an Immunology-track in DTU Master-programs
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship
- document didactic/pedagogic training
Research: The applicant must hold a PhD degree in Immunology or a related topic, and should have several years of postdoctoral experience. The applicant should have an extensive and documented research background within the field of mucosal immunology, in particular in the gastrointestinal tract. This should include theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills, including extensive experience in relevant methodology (flow cytometry-based techniques, ELISA, molecular biology, cell isolations, in vitro cell culturing etc), and in vivo work in experimental animal models (setting up and running infection and inflammation models, adoptive transfers, injections of mice (i.v, i.p, s.c, oral gavage), mouse breeding etc).
Administrative work: The applicant must have experience from a variety of administrative tasks, including budget work (setting up budgets for projects and grant applications), writing grant applications as well as applications for ethical permit.
Education: The applicant must have extensive and documented background in University-associated education (Master and Bachelor level). This should entail direct teaching experience within the field of immunology and mucosal immunology. In addition, experience from education-associated administrative tasks, including course development and course-leadership is essential. Finally, the applicant should have a documented experience from tutoring of students as Main supervisor at all levels, including Bachelor, Master and PhD-students, and post docs.
Due to the wide variety of tasks associated with the position, the applicant should show:
- organizational skills
- flexibility and adaptability to new situations and changing demands
- willingness to take initiatives in problem-solving
- dedication and high degree of responsibility to the work tasks.
Moreover, experience from work in a highly collaborative, international environment is an advantage.
For international candidates, DTU can provide Danish language courses enabling the candidates to teach in Danish within 2-3 years.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Societal impact
- International experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor William Agace (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can read more about DTU Nanotech at www.nanotech.dtu.dk/english.
Please submit your online application no later than 11 December 2018 (local time). Apply online via the "Ansøg" link.
To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form.
The following must be attached in English:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.