Associate Professor in Molecular biology with a focus on biomedical innovation
Department of Science and Environment (DSE), Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as associate professor in Molecular Biology with a focus on Biomedical Innovation from 1 April 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter.
In announcing the position, DSE looks to strengthen its relationship with the private sector mainly through the Danish Life Science Cluster and with an ambition to focus on stakeholders in Region Zealand. Simultaneously, DSE aims to develop its research and teaching in molecular biology and related subjects within innovation and biomedicine. The Department is interested in applicants, whose research and teaching profile matches the above field; applicants who wants to work closely with the university’s external stakeholders in Region Zealand; and applicants who seek an interdisciplinary research and education environment. The Associate Professor’s duties will comprise research at a high international level and a strong commitment and contribution to teaching within the field at interdisciplinary programs across the department.
DSE is one of four departments at Roskilde University. The department conducts basic and applied research within medical biology, molecular biology, environmental sciences, chemistry, physics and mathematics. Bachelor and master programs are offered within these areas. Research and education within the fields takes place in a collaborative and interdisciplinary university environment also spanning collaboration with the other departments covering social sciences and humanities where relevant.
The department is organised in four Sections. The associate professor will be part of the Section of Molecular and Medical Biology. The Molecular and Medical Biology group conducts research and teaches in basic molecular biology topics often combined with a biomedical or application-oriented angle. The research group works in both eukaryotic and prokaryotic organisms with research within host-pathogen interactions, antimicrobial peptides, bacterial physiology, cell biology, cancer development, structural characterizations of proteins, and metabolic disorders using a variety of molecular and biochemical techniques. DSE has a well-established shared infrastructure with state-of-the-art equipment facilities such as fluorescence confocal microscopy, NGS platform, Mass-spectrometry, HPLC, NMR, cell culturing, GMO2 and Biosafety level 2 laboratories
Responsibilities and tasks
The Associate Professor’s work will primarily include research, including publication/academic dissemination and scientific communication, and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations. The Associate Professor is expected to be willing and able to teach subjects central to the relevant curriculum. In addition, the position also requires sharing knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate and outreach activities. Furthermore, the Associate Professor is expected to attract research grants, manage research projects, provide guidance and supervision of assistant professors and researchers as well as take part in academic assessments and other tasks requested by the Department.
It is expected that the candidate has an aptitude for external collaboration, and Roskilde University provides the candidate with a reduced teaching load of 150 hours within the first three year to cover the commitment with one or more of the Danish cluster organisations. Applicants are referred to the university’s Faculty expectations for specifications on the required level of qualifications within research, teaching, networking, fundraising, impact and outreach etc.
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Demonstrate evidence of active engagement with stakeholders in the public and private sector in Denmark,
- Perform research and publication at high international level,
- Strengthen and/or establish a strong research network in Denmark, as well as internationally,
- Actively contribute to the research environment at DSE, and ccontribute to the development of the research profile of the Department and the research group,
- Engage in external fundraising and lead a research group at an international level,
- Engage in developing the educational programmes of the Department,
- Contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department,
- Participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public,
- Be able to teach in English immediately, and within three years acquire proficiency in Danish sufficient for participation in departmental and university committees and meetings
Applicants must hold a relevant PhD degree and qualifications equivalent to a completed employment period as assistant professor within molecular biology, biochemistry, biomedicine, or related areas. The ideal candidate matches the following characteristics:
- International research profile within molecular biology/biochemistry with a special focus on biotechnology and biomedicine,
- Research production at an international level,
- Experience with innovation and entrepreneurship,
- Teaching experience in molecular biology and/or biomedicine,
- A keen interest and experience in project-based teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment,
- The successful applicant must be qualified to teach at B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. levels, as well as supervising student-initiated project work in a multidisciplinary setting.
Moreover, the ideal candidate shall be enterprising and possess good communication skills, and be a visible involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department. At the time of appointment, successful candidates must master English for academic purposes. Experiences with problem-oriented project supervision and teaching at university level is an advantage. Both professional and social competencies will be prioritized in the efforts to support an inspiring daily working environment.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Relevance of research topics,
- Scientific production and research prospective at an international level,
- The ability to create, promote and utilize research results,
- Experience with attracting external funding and managing research projects in collaboration with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.,
- Experience in teaching and education development and management within the field,
- Strong teaching qualifications, experience with project-based learning, and interdisciplinary teaching experience,
- Academic experience, preferably including international academic experience, e.g. from reviewing or editing academic papers and/or from organizing research conferences or seminars,
- Experience with developing networks, experience from research environments and collaborative abilities,
- The ability to contribute to the development of the department’s internal and external cooperation and collaborations
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Section Jesper Troelsen on tel (+45) 4674 2728/ email@example.com or Dean of Natural and Mathematical Sciences Susanne Sørensen on tel. (+45) 4674 2111 /firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to the Dean of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, Susanne Sørensen.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Dean will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Research plan (maximum 2 pages)
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 5 relevant research publications that you want included in the assessment If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than 12 December 2021.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.