Associate Professor in Material Design by Electrospinning for Water Technologies
The Water Technology Section is one of the five sections comprising the Department: Land, Air & Water Resources, Residual Resource Engineering, Urban Water Systems, Environmental Fate and Effect of Chemicals, and Water Technology. The Water Technology Section focuses on processes and technology for treating a range of water types by biological, chemical, physical and electrochemical approaches. The scales are ranging from molecular, over laboratory and pilot scale to full-scale and include experimentation, monitoring and modelling.
Electrospinning offers a powerful and effective strategy for designing and manufacturing metamaterials with rich chemical versatility, high throughput, low production costs and tailored physical properties, including large surface-to-volume ratios, high open porosity and architectural biomimicry. In particular, incorporating nanoscale additives such as enzyme, catalysts, adsorbents and biomolecules into electrospun nanofibers has become one of the most attention-getting research topics and industrial applications in the fields of environmental engineering, biotechnology and energy. The purpose of the position is to open up a new Electrospinning competence filed in the Water Technology Section. The Associate Professor must have substantial experience in material design by electrospinning in the fields of water and energy technologies and will lead the efforts in expanding the electrospinning competence into new research fields and securing external funding.
Responsibilities and tasks
Associate Professor will be responsible to build up the electrospinning facilities, supervise a research group with master/PhD students and young researchers, apply external research funding and build strong collaboration across DTU departments as well as with other international partners in both academic institutions and industry.
Specifically we expect you to:
- Establish research activities based on fundamental understanding of the effect of inter-/intra- nanofiber architecture on enhanced mass and charge transports created during the electrospinning process.
- Lead a research group in the field of electrospinning and advanced material design, including master / PhD students and researchers.
- Expand the use of electrospinning competence as an advanced synthesis and structuring tool to design functional materials for water and energy technologies.
- Drive the efforts in building up electrospinning and advanced material research facilities at DTU Environment
- Engage in teaching including coordination and teaching part of the course 12109 Physical-Chemical Water Treatment Technologies at DTU Environment.
- Consolidate collaborations with other DTU Departments, e.g., DTU Energy and DTU Chemical Engineering
- Develop an international network with academic and industrial partners in water and energy technologies.
- Hold a PhD degree (or equivalent), as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as a researcher or postdoc.
- Documented supervision (of Masters, PhDs and postdoc) and teaching experience
- Have extensive experience in electrospinning and advanced material design for water and other technologies.
- Have a good track record in applying for and executing scientific projects with variable funding sources such as research councils, Innovation Fund Denmark and direct industry R&D
- Have international research mobility and be able to network with international academic and industry partners.
- Demonstrate research leadership by establishing key research facilities, coordinating research activities in large-scale project and leading a research group.
- Enjoy working with complex topics across research fields and organizations
- Thrive on collaboration and teamwork
- Focus on the process as well as the outcome
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- Established collaborations with other DTU Departments and companies in the fields of advanced materials for water and energy technologies.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The assistant professor position is a permanent faculty position. You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from Professor MSO Henrik Rasmus Andersen, firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read more about DTU Environment at www.env.dtu.dk ;
Please submit your online application no later than 3 July 2019 (local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.