Associate Professor in Fungal Physiology and Fermentation
DTU Bioengineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate Professor in Fungal Physiology and Fermentation...
DTU Bioengineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate Professor in Fungal Physiology and Fermentation.
This position will be placed in the Section of Synthetic Biology. The section applies engineering strategies to cell factories, and spans research within gene and genome editing, synthetic biology, regulation engineering, protein production, expression and discovery of bioactive compounds across cell factories, in particular yeast, filamentous fungi, plant cells and mammalian cells, but will expand into bacterial systems with this program. The section has a total staff of approx. 35, of which 7 is faculty.
Responsibilities and tasks
The candidate is expected to make a significant contribution to teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in Biotechnology, in particular Fermentation Technology and the physiological and quantitative aspects of monitoring fungal submerged cultivations, cell factory development and stress responses. You will also, as part of a larger educational team, be instrumental in contributing to the new educational track within Fermentation-based manufacturing covering MSc, PhD and life-long learning.
The candidate is expected to build and lead a research group in the above described research field, managing staff and developing research and innovation activities. The ability to ensure external funding for the research activities and active contribution to the development of innovation activities, through patents and through collaboration with biotech companies is expected to be an integrated part of the position.
Additionally, as part of the position responsibilities you will be heading the Fermentation Core at the Bioengineering department, comprising 60 bioreactors up to 10 liter scale, an MS-off-gas analyzer and a robotic system for automated small scale cultivations. The candidate will be expected to contribute to the development of high throughput capabilities for the Fermentation Core.
Finally, the candidate is expected to have good collaborative skills, being able to collaborate with research groups both internally at the department, across departments at DTU, with national and international research groups and with industry.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship
- document didactic/pedagogic training
The successful candidate should document experience within several of the following areas:
- Industrially relevant fungal strains, such as Saccharomyces and/or Aspergillus, as well as research experience with non-conventional yeasts
- Cell factory engineering/genetic engineering in yeast and/or fungi
- Recombinant protein production (therapeutic proteins and/or industrially relevant enzymes)
- Quantitative biology and physiology
- Global expression analysis (transcriptomics / proteomics) and stress responses related to cell factory design
- Lab-scale bio-reaction design and fermentation technology
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
For the specific position consideration will also be given to:
- Previous experience with management of research infrastructures
- A strong academic and industrial network within the research field
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from head of department Bjarke Bak Christensen, +45 3066 4233.
You can read more about the department at www.bioengineering.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 1 August 2018.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg" fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Documentation of teaching experience (e.g. in the form of a teaching portfolio)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder