Associate Professor in Embedded Systems
DTU Compute, Section for Embedded Systems Engineering, invites applications for an appointment as Associate Professor within Embedded Systems.
DTU Compute, Section for Embedded Systems Engineering, invites applications for an appointment as Associate Professor within Embedded Systems. The position is available from September 2018 or according to mutual agreement.
Our department DTU Compute is an internationally unique academic environment spanning the science disciplines mathematics, statistics, computer science and computer engineering. At the same time, we are an engineering department covering informatics and communication technologies (ICT) in their broadest sense. Finally, we play a major role in addressing the societal challenges of the digital society where ICT is a part of every industry, service, and human endeavour.
Computational models and methods play an increasingly decisive role in the engineering sciences, in industrial production, in planning and economics, and in the health care sector. DTU Compute also plays a central role in education at all levels of the engineering programmes at DTU - both in terms of our scientific disciplines and our didactic innovation. For more information about the department and the section, see www.compute.dtu.dk
Responsibilities and tasks
With this position, we want to strengthen our capabilities in teaching and entrepreneurship within the areas of embedded systems, primarily at the Bachelor of Engineering courses, but also on occasion Bachelor of Engineering courses at DTU Compute. Teaching and educational design, primarily at Bachelor of Engineering, is therefore the main focus of this position.
The Section for Embedded Systems Engineering (ESE) has a long tradition of empirical research and research often includes development of research prototypes and demonstrators. The section seeks to expand its expertise and capabilities in the area of building prototypes and demonstrators of embedded systems to support both teaching and research. You will have an important role in supporting this activity through managing and developing our sections lab facilities, as well as facilitating lab activities. Your responsibility of managing the lab will be to purchase relevant equipment for the lab, recruit and supervise students and student lab projects. The candidate will also be active in recruitment campaigns directed towards potential new bachelor students.
You will - in addition to your teaching -be expected to support existing and future research projects and themes within the section by contributing to the development of relevant prototypes of embedded systems.
At DTU Compute, we value knowledge sharing and cross functionality. Therefore, you are expected to cooperate and be eager to build relations with colleagues in the department and with other departments of DTU.
- hold a Master’s degree or PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an assistant professorship or equivalent for three years.
- document didactic/pedagogic training
- have a strong and broad track record in teaching courses in embedded systems and programming
- have knowledge, experience and expertise in embedded systems
- have good organizational skills and the desire and ability to cooperate
- have experience with designing new courses, including practical lab courses
- understand that reflection and personal development is vital to innovation
- strive to develop talent amongst others
- enjoy teaching and are actively aiming to improve and develop courses here at DTU
- like new challenges
You must be able to work academically on an international level and must also be able to work across the disciplines within the section and establish new collaborations. Good communication skills are required. In addition, you must have proficiency in both Danish and English as lectures and examinations are held in both languages. For international candidates, DTU offers Danish language courses for the purpose of being able to teach in Danish within the first 2-3 years.
Knowledge of DTU’s educations and their organisation will be an advantage
In the assessment of candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching and education
- Societal impact
- Experience in innovation and entrepreneurship, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential as study leader and collaboration
- Communication skills
For the specific position, consideration will also be given to:
- Development of prototypes and demonstrators of embedded and distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with industry
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations and the Career Structure for Bachelor Engineers and Export Engineers. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
An associated professor is a permanent fulltime position. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section for Embedded Systems Engineering, Professor Jan Madsen, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or +45 4525 3751.
You can read more about DTU Compute on www.compute.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 17 July 2018 (local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Ansøg," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder