The Department of Civil Engineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for the position of Associate Professor in Digital Civil Engineering within the Design and Processes section.
The position will be part of the section’s research, innovation, teaching and scientific advice capabilities. Research and teaching within the Design and Processes section covers design methodology, building engineering, digital platforms, fire safety engineering and arctic building design and construction.
Responsibilities and tasks:
The selected Associate Professor's primary responsibilities will be in research and in research-based teaching.
The overall focus of the research, teaching and innovation in the section is in creating a design methodology that enables the design of sustainable civil engineering facilities that also fulfill all the functional requirements. In addition to the process focus, the section also conducts research, teaching and innovation in building components and how they are assembled, evacuation during a fire and structural fire safety as well as the harsh conditions for civil engineering in the arctic region.
The research, teaching and innovation within digital civil engineering is focussing on how digitalisation can be applied during the whole life cycle of a facility and how it can be used to support decision-making, to create documentation and to predict the behaviour of a system, the entire facility or its interaction with other elements in the built environment.
Please note that the expected teaching language on Bachelor level is Danish, while on postgraduate level (MSc or PhD) it is required to be in English. International candidates are required to take courses in Danish and be able to teach in Danish within 2-3 years.
Other content of the position:
- Associate Professors have responsibilities related to PhD and Postdoc supervision, research project management and academic departmental work.
- The field of civil engineering design is highly multi-disciplinary. Therefore, research and teaching are carried out in cooperation with colleagues at DTU Byg and DTU Management as well as with scientific staff from other academic organisations and external industry partners.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship and should document didactic/pedagogic training.
Applicants must possess and document strong qualifications in research demonstrated through publications and citations in international scientific journals, and through successful collaborations and projects. Moreover, applicants must document a vision for their contribution to future research in the field of digital civil engineering.
The candidate can have a background as engineer or architect.
The candidate for the position should have a research approach, with a particular focus on how digitalisation can be applied, not only to the design phase but during all stages of the life cycle of a civil engineering facility and how it can be embedded into the facility itself.
The applicant is expected to be familiar with a number of the following topics:
- Design methodology
- Building Information Modelling and commercial tools
- Interoperability, Linked Data and Data Management
- Scripting and visual programming
- Data and process modelling
- International standardisation in W3C, ISO, CEN and buildingSMART in relation to digital civil engineering
Moreover, the successful candidate is expected to engage heavily in fundraising activities targeted towards this field of research, and play a significant role the implementation of the sections digitalisation strategy.
Applicants should document their interest, qualifications, and experience (if any) in research-based university teaching.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
Consideration will also be given to:
- the ability - besides engaging in the sections teaching assignments - to also contribute to the section’s scientific research production and the development of the construction industry in Denmark
- the ability to teach BSc students in Danish.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
In general terms, the position is based at Lyngby Campus with possible short teaching duties at other DTU campuses, in particular Ballerup and Sisimiut.
Some travelling to Sisimiut Campus can be expected in conjunction with teaching obligations.
Further information may be obtained from Head of section Jan Karlshøj, +45 4525 1711, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read more about the Department of Civil Engineering on www.byg.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 3 July 2019.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.