Associate Professor in Automation and High-throughput Fermentation Technology
DTU Bioengineering at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Associate Professor in Automation and high-throughput fermentation technology.
The position is part of a large initiative granted by the Novo Nordisk Foundation with the aim of establishing a Research Based World-Class Joint Education Program in Fermentation Based Biomanufacturing in collaboration with DTU Chemical Engineering and the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability. At least four new faculty positions will be established as part of this initiative, which apart from this position will include expertise in bacterial fermentation physiology and performance, fermentation scale-up and scale-down, and downstream fermentation processing.
This position will be placed in the Section of Synthetic Biology. The section applies engineering strategies to cell factories, and spans research within gene and genome editing, synthetic biology, regulation engineering, protein production, expression and discovery of bioactive compounds across cell factories, in particular yeast, filamentous fungi, plant cells and mammalian cells, but will expand into bacterial systems with this program. The section has a total staff of approx. 35, of which 7 is faculty.
The position will be at the level of associate professor, but is also part of a career track where evaluation for professor or professor MSO is an expected next step for the candidate.
Responsibilities and tasks
The research and teaching assignments of the associate professor will focus on development and implementation of new methods for automated strain characterization through high throughput micro- fermentation technologies.
The position should ideally combine automated strain construction with automated strain characterization to establish HTP data generation with the purpose of understanding the physiology of complex biological production systems to a level that enables prediction of scale-up and optimization properties. As such, the position should facilitate better prediction of scale-up ranging all the way from micro-scale fermentation to full-scale fermentation.
Apart from the scientific part of the position you will also as part of a larger educational team be instrumental in setting up a completely new educational track within Fermentation based manufacturing covering MSc, PhD and life-long- learning.
The candidate is expected to build and lead a research group in the above described research field, managing staff and developing research and innovation activities. The ability to ensure external funding for the research activities and active contribution to the development of innovation activities, through patents and through collaboration with biotech companies is expected to be an integrated part of the position.
Finally, the candidate is expected to have good collaborative skills, being able to collaborate with research groups both internally at the department, across departments at DTU, with national and international research groups and with industry.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship
- document didactic/pedagogic training
The successful candidate should document experience within several of the following areas:
- Industrially relevant eukaryotic cells, such as yeast, fungi or mammalian cells
- Cell factory engineering/genetic engineering in yeast and/or fungi
- Automated high-throughput screening technologies
- Quantitative biology and physiology
- Measurement of novel compounds and enzymes at micro- and/or milli-scale
- Up- and downscaling of fermentation technologies
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
For the specific position consideration will also be given to:
- Experience with running a research group and leading science.
- Experience with innovation and business development
- A track record of securing funding from national and international sources
- A strong academic and industrial network within the research field
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Further information may be obtained from head of department Bjarke Bak Christensen, tel.: +45 3066 4233
You can read more about the department on www.bioengineering.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 18 June 2018. Apply via the "Ansøg" button.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Views regarding teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder