The Department of Management Engineering invites applications for a permanent full-time position as Associate or Assistant Professor within the field of ergonomics and human factors. The position is based in the Management Science (MS) division as part of the Implementation and Performance Management (IPM) research group that aims to advance knowledge and practice everywhere humans interact with technologies.
As technology becomes ever more complex and pervasive within our society, ‘human factors’ in industrial engineering and management play a key role. That provide engineers with a vast opportunity to make a difference to the benefit to people, businesses and society. The IPM research group has a long tradition for adopting a human-technology centred approach to create benefits for customers and/or employees, such as better usability for products, more efficient work processes and safer work environments. Our research has focused on occupational health and safety management, physical and psychosocial work environment and work organization and implementation of preventive interventions to ensure both organizational performance and employee well-being in manufacturing, healthcare and knowledge work.
We therefore invite applicants to a position as assistant/associate professor to develop this field focusing on how to develop and manage work processes and organizations and ensure a good work environment while also taking into account the organizational performance and the continuous development of the daily operations.
Responsibilities and tasks
The candidate has focused on ergonomics/human factors within different production systems and how work processes can be (re)organized and managed integrating the human aspect (behaviour and work processes) as part of daily work processes. Our key interest is especially in the (re)design of work processes in the field of organizational design and management to ensure both organizational performance, continuous development and employee well-being. The candidate has preferably done research on:
- How to implement preventive changes to improve the physical and/or psychosocial work environment
- How to design and evaluate preventive and organizational level interventions
- Implications on people and the work system when implementing new technologies
In particular, the candidate will contribute to the understanding of preventive intervention processes, including organizational and managerial requirements needed for implementing changes. This research could include development and use of models for successful implementation and process evaluation. We therefore expect that the candidate has worked with qualitative research methods. Knowledge and experience with quantitative research methods would be an advantage.
We expect that the candidate contributes actively to the department's production of knowledge through research and publications in recognized and leading international journals, and that the candidate is willing to engage in new issues, if required. The department has strong cooperation with industry, commissioning institutions and government research institutes. The applicant should be willing to contribute actively to these activities.
The teaching obligations are mainly concentrated on master level activities, but also includes courses on bachelor level. In our bachelor and masters courses, we teach management and organisation, business modelling, implementation and performance management, working environment and occupational health and safety.
We also supervise semester-4 projects, bachelor projects and master thesis projects mainly from the Industrial Engineering and Management program.
Our bachelor courses are taught in Danish. For international candidates, DTU offers Danish language courses, with the purpose of being able to teach in Danish within the first two-three years.
It is expected that the new member of our group will participate in the daily group and department activities (reviews, seminars and presentations) and enjoys being part of our research team. Furthermore, the applicant will contribute to the internal collaboration at the department and external collaboration with industrial and academic partners in Denmark, like MADE, and abroad, like SCAIEM.
The IPM group is a small, engaged, and young research group, which is responsible for the largest course at DTU at the master’s level (Technology, Economics, Management, and Organization). Cooperation and teamwork across teaching and research are core values to ensure robustness, knowledge sharing and quality in our work.
Candidates for an:
- Assistant Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Associate Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship and should document didactic/pedagogic training.
Further qualifications, which the candidate must show:
- A strong academic record of accomplishment in human factors and ergonomics demonstrated through publications in internationally recognized journals.
- The ability to blend theoretical approaches with real-world problems in industry
- The ability to engage effectively with industry and other practitioner communities.
- The ability to be a team player and engage with colleagues in research and teaching.
- Excellent teaching skills, preferably with experience of teaching large courses at graduate level. Interest and preferably initial knowledge of innovative teaching approaches, including e-learning, are an advantage.
- Flexibility, self-discipline and initiative as basic skills combined with an ability for collaboration and sharing responsibility within the group.
Associate professor applicants in particular should demonstrate:
- The ability to build and develop a research field related to human factors and ergonomics
- A track record of research proposals for research funding and management of research project
- Scientific and public dissemination of research results
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research impact and experience, funding track record, and research vision
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International impact and experience
- Leadership potential and collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. We expect to fill the position by the fall/winter 2018.
The assistant professor position is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
The workplace is at DTU Lyngby Campus.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Group, Associate Professor Christine Ipsen, tel.: +45 4525 6014.
You can read more about DTU Management Engineering and the IPM research group on www.man.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 14 May 2018. Apply online via the Aaply link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Views regarding teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for” please indicate whether you are applying for position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder
Tlf.: +45 4525 6014