Assistant/Associate Professor of Computer Science
Department of People and Technology (IMT), Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as either assistant or associate professor in Computer Science from 1st August 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as assistant professor is limited to 4 years.
In announcing the position, IMT looks to strengthen its relationship with the private sector mainly through the Danish ‘Digital Lead and Life Science Clusters’ and develop its research and teaching. Read more about computer science at Roskilde University (RUC) at ruc.dk/dat and at https://forskning.ruc.dk/en/organisations/programmering-logik-og-intelligente-systemer. The Department is interested in applicants who want to work closely with the university’s external stakeholders, and applicants who seek an interdisciplinary research and education environment.
Department of People and Technology is the largest department at RUC, and covers a range of subject areas, broadly focused on human – society – technology interactions and covering e.g. computer science, sustainable transition, social entrepreneurship, urban planning, sustainable digitalization, health studies etc.
We encourage candidates from transdisciplinary research environments possessing the ability to collaborate with researchers from multiple fields of research to apply for this position.
Responsibilities and tasks
The assistant/associate professor’s work will primarily include research (including publication/academic dissemination work) and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations). It is expected that the candidate has an aptitude for external collaboration, and Roskilde University provides the candidate with a reduced teaching load of 150 hours within the first three year to scope the engagement with one or more of the Danish cluster organisations.
In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also requires share of knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debates.
An assistant professor is also expected to complete the educational training program for assistant professors at RUC (up to 220 hours).
An associate professor’s tasks may also include performance of research management, educational guid-ance and supervision of assistant professors as well as academic assessment work.
Applicants are referred to the university’s Faculty expectations for specifications on the required level of qualifications within research, teaching, networking, fundraising, impact and outreach etc.
The ideal candidate for this position is expected to:
- Demonstrate evidence of active engagement with stakeholders in the public and private sector in Denmark
- Perform research and publish in leading international, peer-reviewed journals, possibly supplemented with research monographs with high-ranking academic publishers
- Secure external research funding and engage in research partnerships
- Contribute to the development of the research profile of the Department and in PLIS research group.
- Increase the international recognition of the research conducted
- Develop and nurture research networks nationally and internationally, including industry, civil and public sector partners.
- Contribute to developing the educational programmes of the Department.
- Teach/supervise/assess PhDs, take part in the doctoral school’s teaching programme, and attract new PhD students
- Act as a mentor for junior researchers with guidance and supervision
- Contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department including academic assessments.
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the Department.
The ideal candidate is expected to be able and willing to broadly undertake teaching and tutoring in several of the de-partment’s education programs:
- Computer science and informatics at bachelor and graduate level (ruc.dk/dat and ruc.dk/inf)
- The bachelor program in natural science and the bachelor program in humanities and technology (ruc.dk/naturvidenskabelig-bachelor and ruc.dk/humtek)
- The Executive Master program in project and change management (ruc.dk/mpf)
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within Computer Science. The successful candidate is expected to become affiliated with the research group Programming, Logic and Intelligent Systems (PLIS) and must relate his or her own research to the research of this group, in particular:
- Artificial Intelligence and decision support tools
- Big data analysis and data science
- Applications in the health domain (and possibly other domains)
- Innovative applications of IT and Internet of Things
See more at https://forskning.ruc.dk/en/organisations/programmering-logik-og-intelligente-systemer . Relevant knowledge of collaborative design methods might also be taken into account.
Exclusively for associate professor:
- Documented research and teaching qualifications corresponding to what can be achieved through satisfactory appointment as an assistant professor in relation to the above subject area(s).
- Documented experience in attracting and managing external project funding from national or international funding bodies with connected scientific publications in reviewed international scientific journals.
The applicant is expected to possess initiative and good cooperative skills, be visible and actively contributing to organizing the daily activities in the PLIS research group and the connected teaching programmes. Both professional and social competencies will be prioritized in the efforts to create an inspiring daily working environment. Experiences with problem-oriented project supervision and teaching at university level is an advantage.
Within three years of employment, the applicant is expected to be able to teach in Danish.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- relevance of research expertise for the position and research group,
- scientific production and research potential at an international level,
- the ability to create, promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education development and management,
- the ability to create an engaged and interactive learning environment that motivate and inspire students to develop all aspects of their profiles,
- the ability to attract external funding and manage research projects in collaboration with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.
- networks, experience from research environments and collaborative abilities
- academic experience basis, preferably including international academic experience, e.g. from reviewing or editing academic papers and/or from organizing research conferences or seminars,
Please note that to be assessed for the position as associate professor, you need to have passed the educational teaching programme and to have a solid scientific production.
For further information about the position, please contact the Dean, Andreas de Neergaard tel. +45 24434331 / email@example.com; or head of the PLIS research group Torben Braüner; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to the Dean, Andreas de Neergaard.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Dean will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Research plan (2 pages, based on own experience and visions)
- Description of own research network and collaboration experience (1 page)
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than 12 December 2021.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.