DTU Management Engineering’s Transport Modelling Division invites applications for an appointment as Assistant Professor in the area of Public Transport Modelling.
The assistant professorship is a permanent entry-level faculty position.
The Transport Modelling Division is a lively and research oriented group of scientists and support staff with a shared interest in understanding, mathematically and algorithmically representing, predicting, and analysing transport phenomena in perspectives that range from private to public transport, real-time operations to long term planning, classical mobility technologies to new “smart” mobility options (e.g. Autonomous Vehicles, Electrical Vehicles, Mobility as a Service, Sharing modes).
Responsibilities and tasks
The aim of the new position is to consolidate the Department’s teaching and research in modelling mainly within the field of public transport with a quantitative approach. We seek ambitious candidates with a strong research focus in public transport modelling.
We envision the position to help expand the division’s research in application areas such as
- Development of transport models for public transport, possible including multi-modal transport
- Statistical analysis and analytics with focus on public transport
- Research into use of “new” type of data-sources in the domain of public transport for modelling purposes, including e.g. smart card data, smartphone-based surveys, and combination of data-sources
- Quantitative modelling of the influence of human factors and attitudes to public transport
The duties of the Assistant Professor include research (including publication/scientific dissemination and application for research grants), research-based teaching, advisory functions to relevant Danish government organisations, and possible innovation towards the public transport industry.
The division is keen to ensure that assistant professors are given supervision and guidance, and develops a teaching portfolio in order to qualify for an associate professorship approval within maximum 3-4 years. Assistant Professors must follow the DTU UDTU education in university teaching and learning.
Since the position is permanent, we expect candidates to eventually learn Danish. All DTU's graduate courses are taught in English, and the division language is English, whereas undergraduate courses are mainly taught in Danish. Some of the industry outreach will benefit of Danish language skills, as well as transport surveys and other data-sources are collected/documented in Danish.
Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent).
The key qualification requirements are as follows
- Documented scientific production/publication and research potential within public transport modelling, and general knowledge on transport modelling
- Potential research experience analysing preferences, satisfaction, habitual choices with regard to transport behaviour
- Experience with general statistical methods (e.g. Bayesian framework, Bayesian inference, multivariate statistics, stochastic simulation)
- Ability and desire to contribute to the Divisions national and international collaborative efforts, including the dissemination of research results and research-based consultancy
- Teaching experience and good communication skills
DTU has a contractual obligation to provide public sector consultancy services to the Danish Ministry of Transport, and co-operate with the public transport sector e.g. in the IPTOP-projects. Industry outreach is thus a crucial part of the activities within public transport. Hence, to contribute properly to this task, the candidate should possess the following qualifications:
• ability to draw policy relevant conclusions from research results;
• documented skills in communicating results and recommendations to governmental authorities and the public in general, in writings as well as oral presentations;
• personal skills to establish and develop external co-operation
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
An assistant professorship is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Otto Anker Nielsen, email@example.com, +45 4525 1514.
You can read more about DTU Management Engineering on www.man.dtu.dk/english.
Please submit your online application no later than 1 May 2018 (local time). Apply online at www.career.dtu.dk.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Views regarding teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder
Tlf.: +45 4525 1514