DTU Tenure Track position
Develop your skills as part of an elite scientific community and team
If you are establishing your career as scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it is right here in front of you. At DTU Energy you will break new ground at the absolute forefront of what is possible. You will become a leading expert within computational modeling, and your personal efforts will contribute to development of new materials, components and devices for sustainable energy conversion and storage – with the potential of positively influencing people and businesses all over the world.
The position is part of DTU’s Tenure Track program. We provide you with the best conditions including a mentor, state-of-the-art research infrastructure, teacher training and relevant networks. After maximum 6 years you will be evaluated by an external assessment committee, and if evaluated positively, you will acquire a permanent Associate Professorship.
Become a leading expert within computational modeling in our department
Your overall focus will be to strengthen the department’s competences within computational modeling of design and optimization of components for the development of new energy technologies. You will work with nearby colleagues, and with both academic and industrial partners in Denmark as well as abroad.
One example of a potential project could be the design of geometries with optimized heat transfer for e.g. storing heat in fuel cell devices. Another example could be design of optimized magnetic structures for enhancing performance in magnetic systems for refrigeration or energy harvesting. A third, design of optimized structural mechanical systems for piezoelectric devices. Additionally, analysis and optimization of dynamical systems. You will contribute to the research and development of computational methods within at least one of the two following areas:
- Computational methods for design optimization of renewable energy applications, e.g. topology optimization, analytical optimization or similar methods
- Open-source numerical frameworks for optimization and modeling that can be applied to a range of different energy technologies
Other primary tasks will be to:
- Teach and supervise BSc and MSc student projects, and be co-supervisor for PhD students
- Disseminate research findings and innovation – scientifically and in the public domain
- Contribute to attract external funding from public and private sources
At the end of the period as Assistant Professor, you must be able to be responsible for courses and to lecture in Danish. Thus, you must be willing to learn Danish during the Assistant Professorship.
Team worker with a PhD degree in physics, chemistry, materials science or similar
We are looking for a scientific talent with the skills and ambitions to see the sky as the limit and world class as a natural guiding light. To succeed, you must like to create results via knowledge sharing and constructive collaboration with due respect to professional and cultural differences – and be able to give and take feedback with an open mind. Additionally, you must be curious and constantly expand your field of expertise. As teacher, you must like to coach and be able to communicate in an inspiring and motivating way – you set the standards for the engineers of the future. Additionally, your CV comprises:
- A PhD degree in physics, chemistry, materials science or similar
- Academic experience from outside DTU (you can be working at DTU today)
- Documented high-level results from original computational research on design of physical systems used for energy conversion and storage
- Documented results from design of systems that showed state-of-the-art performance
- Experience from turning theoretical design optimization into numerically optimization
- Experience from interdisciplinary research – and great motivation for collaboration
- The ability to produce a coherent vision paper for your research covering the entire Tenure Track period
As a successful Tenure Track candidate, you will meet DTU’s Tenure Track requirements. You have documented teaching experience and have experience in supervising students from Bachelor to PhD. You are among the best research talents in your field with the potential to reach the highest international level. You have documented scientific production at the highest international level and can document initiative for independent and original project ideas. You have the personal drive and potential to attract external funding for research activities and you thrive in an multidisciplinary work environment.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Tenure Track at DTU
DTU offers talented scientists from around the world attractive career perspectives via the DTU Tenure Track Programme. Highly qualified candidates are appointed as Assistant Professors for a period of up to six years with the prospect of performance-based advancement to a tenured Associate Professorship.
As part of the tenure track position, the candidate receives:
- Access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure
- Capability development, including postgraduate teacher training
- A mentoring programme
- Support to develop scientific networks and to secure interdisciplinary research at the highest level
- As part of the DTU Tenure Track Programme, the University carries out a mid-way evaluation to review the progress of the tenure track candidate, according to the same criteria used in the final tenure review. If the final review is positive, the candidate will be offered a tenured position as Associate Professor at DTU
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Rasmus Bjørk, Head of Section for Continuum Modelling and Testing, DTU Energy, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +45 4525 5895.
You can read more about DTU Energy at https://www.energy.dtu.dk/english
Please submit your online application no later than 13 April 2020 (23:59 local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Vision paper
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- Documentation of relevant employment
- Documentation of interdisciplinary collaboration
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder