Assistant Professor in Machine Learning for Mobility
DTU Management Engineering’s Transport Modelling Division invites applications for an appointment as Assistant Professor...
DTU Management Engineering’s Transport Modelling Division invites applications for an appointment as Assistant Professor in the area of Machine Learning for Mobility.
The assistant professorship is a permanent entry-level faculty position.
The Transport Modelling Division is a lively and research oriented group of scientists and support staff with a shared interest in understanding, mathematically and algorithmically representing, predicting, and analysing transport phenomena in perspectives that range from private to public transport, real-time operations to long term planning, classical mobility technologies to new “smart” mobility options (e.g. Autonomous Vehicles, Electrical Vehicles, Mobility as a Service, Sharing modes).
Responsibilities and tasks
The aim of the new position is to expand the Department’s teaching and research in modelling mainly within the field of machine learning methods applied to mobility.
We seek ambitious candidates with a strong research focus in transport modelling, based on machine learning, statistics and computer science.
We envision the position to help expand the division’s research in application areas such as
- Real-time predictive models
- Robust methods for uncertainty estimation (e.g. heteroskedastic methods)
- Scenario discovery in transport models (e.g. active learning in large-scale simulations)
- Machine Learning approaches to discrete choice modelling
- Demand modelling and fleet re-balancing, with machine learning
- Machine learning in real time modelling for incident and anomaly detection and flow predictions
The duties of the Assistant Professor include research (e.g. publication/scientific dissemination and application for research grants), research-based teaching and innovation. The particular position is also expected to outreach to the industry and public sector together with the Smart Mobility Centre at the division. The division is keen to ensure that assistant professors are given supervision and guidance, and develops a teaching portfolio in order to qualify for an associate professorship approval within maximum 3-4 years. Assistant Professors must follow the DTU UDTU education in university teaching and learning.
Since the position is permanent, we expect candidates to eventually learn Danish. All DTU's graduate courses are taught in English, and the division language is English, whereas most undergraduate courses are taught in Danish. Some of the industry outreach will benefit of Danish language skills, as well as transport surveys and other travel behaviour data are collected in Danish.
Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent).
The key qualification requirements are as follows
- Documented scientific production/publication and research potential to become aninternational leader in your field.
- Ability and desire to contribute to the Divisions national and international collaborative efforts, including the dissemination of research results and research-based consultancy and innovation in society.
- Teaching experience and good communication skills
Relevant knowledge and/or experience in any of the following topics will be very positively considered:
- Deep Learning for transportation problems
- Bayesian Machine Learning methods
- Transport demand model estimation and calibration
- Large-scale modelling, large-scale software
- Uncertainty modelling in spatio-temporal data
- General statistical methods (Bayesian framework, Bayesian inference, multivariate statistics, stochastic simulation)
- Smart mobility vehicle technologies (e.g. sensing, software, technology visions, vehicle to vehicle/infrastructure/cloud communications)
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
An assistant professorship is a permanent entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, an assistant professor can be promoted to an associate professor position after assessment. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Francisco Pereira, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +45 4525 1496.
You can read more about DTU Management Engineering on www.man.dtu.dk/english
Please submit your online application no later than 1 May 2018 (local time). Apply online at the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Views regarding teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- Documentation of previous teaching and research based on the “Assessment” bullets
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder