Senior Researcher in Silicon Photonics for Space-Division Multiplexing Technology
DTU Fotonik works on research in most areas of photonics, covering the fields of lasers, LEDs, optical sensors, optical fibers, optical communications, nanophotonics and quantum photonics.
The department now has an open position for a senior researcher within the field of silicon photonics for space-division multiplexing technology.
The posted position will be based in the High-Speed Optical Communications Group, and will partly support the newly established DNRF research centre of excellence, SPOC (Silicon Photonics for Optical Communications).
Responsibilities and tasks
DTU Fotonik seeks a senior researcher who can undertake a leading research role in Silicon Photonics for Space Division Multiplexing Technology applied in both high-capacity classical optical fibre communication and advanced quantum communication within the following areas:
- Design and fabrication of silicon photonic integrated circuits for space division multiplexers
- Investigation of silicon photonic integrated chips for future high-capacity space division multiplexing transmission and network nodes
- Investigation of high-dimensional quantum state manipulation based on silicon photonic integrated devices, and investigation of high-dimensional quantum key distribution using silicon photonic integrated circuits and advanced space division multiplexing fibres
As a senior researcher at DTU Fotonik you are expected to collaborate with colleagues within the Department as well as at other DTU departments. You are expected to develop strong external relations with universities and industry in Denmark and internationally. Furthermore, you are expected to strive for scientific excellence within your field. You are expected to perform excellent supervision of PhD students and undergraduate students, and in general perform teaching activities to about 20% of your time. You are expected to be able to attract external funding from national and international sources in support of your research activities.
- hold a PhD degree or equivalent as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as Researcher or Postdoc.
- document didactic/pedagogic training
Applicants with experience in the following areas are in particular welcome to apply:
- Rich cleanroom work experience in fabrication of silicon photonic integrated circuits
- Experience in design, fabrication, and characterization of space division multiplexers (e.g. multicore fibre coupler, optical angular momentum fibre coupler, few linearly polarized mode fibre coupler) on silicon-on-insulator platform
- Experience in design, fabrication, and characterization of high-performance grating couplers on silicon-on-insulator platform
- Experience in design, fabrication, and characterization of other silicon photonic integrated components, such as on-chip polarization splitter/rotators, cross-intersections, multimode interferometers, micro-heaters, electro-optical modulators, low-loss delay lines, etc.
- Experience with experimental demonstration of high-capacity space division multiplexing transmission based on silicon photonic integrated circuits
- Experience with experimental demonstration of reconfigurable space division multiplexing switching based on silicon photonic integrated circuits
- Experimental experience with quantum key distribution using silicon photonic integrated circuits
- Experience/interest in working on novel quantum key distribution protocols
- Experience/interest in maintaining/upgrading state-of-the-art experimental facilities in space-division multiplexing research
- International experience (e.g. obtained by stays at foreign well-renowned research institutions).
- Furthermore, applicants with a proven success in attracting external funding, proven track record of supervision of phd students and/or applicants with qualification in leading research projects are preferred.
- Candidates should already have obtained a well-documented research output in internationally recognized conferences and journals within the field of silicon photonics and optical communications. Employment implies original research at high international level within the above mentioned research themes.
- It is considered important that the candidate has a collaborative nature and a positive approach to challenges.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- scientific production and research potential at international level
- innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- the ability to communicate at all levels such as the provision of scientific advice to public sector authorities
- experience in teaching and education
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation
DTU offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. The position is available from October 1, 2017, and is a permanent position.
The place of work is DTU Lyngby Campus.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Department Director Lars-Ulrik Aaen Andersen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +45 4525 3816 and from Head of the High-Speed Optical Communications Group Professor Leif Katsuo Oxenløwe, email: email@example.com, tel.: +45 4525 3784.
You can read more about DTU Fotonik on www.fotonik.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 25 May 2017. Apply online via the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Documentation for participation in teacher training courses
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder