Senior Researcher/Researcher in Energy System Analysis
Are you interested in decarbonising energy systems, and to develop methodologies and tools needed for this? Do you want to apply your research to real life challenges and give advice on how to reach environmental and renewable energy targets? Then working in Energy System Analysis Group (ESY) might be something for you.
ESY has a central position in the development of the energy system analysis tools Balmorel and TIMES. For the open source model Balmorel we are hosting a central version control and shared model update across the Nordic countries. ESY has from start this year taken over as Operating Agent for the ETSAP community developing the TIMES models and has lead on several projects developing the TIMES tools. With around 10 people working with TIMES, ESY has become one of the largest TIMES groups in the world.
Responsibililties and tasks
Development of methodologies and tools within energy system modelling.
You will be one of our main responsible for developing ESY's energy system modelling tools (Balmorel and TIMES), with a focus on renewable based energy systems and expanding the energy system models to cover new research areas.
Research-based public sector consultancy
Analysis of future energy systems on Global, European and national level to support decision makers, develop scenarios and give advice on analysis tools and solutions.
New ways of looking at problems, unexpected combination of methods and utilize collaborative open source tools, keep up-to-date with valuable new methods and tools in context with open energy modelling, improve the existing by thinking different - come up with new ideas.
Other content of the position:
- Senior Researcher - exchanging knowledge with society, including participation in the public debate, research management, guidance and supervision of assistant professors and researchers, academic assessment work, lead on research applications, and some teaching can be expected
- Researcher - some teaching, support for applications and a limited amount of other assignments
Collaboration across DTU
In System Analysis Division (SYS), we have four research groups: Energy System Analysis (ESY), Energy Economics and Regulation (EER), Climate Change and Sustainable Development (CCSD) and Transport Economics (TE). There is a close collaboration between these groups within projects and teaching, and we are all 80-90 people sited in one building.
We also have strong collaboration across DTU departments especially with DTU Wind.
Right now, we create a new collaboration platform between DTU departments focused on integration of variable renewable energy, which will be launched in May 2017.
- Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Candidates for a Senior Researcher position must further have experience at least as Assistant Professor/Researcher/Postdoc or similar qualifications
- Didactic/pedagogic training
- Team player with a well-established international network
- Wants to make a difference in the world
- Experience in leading research projects and applications
- Not afraid of crazy ideas
- Documented experience with energy system optimisation modelling
- Experience with open software tools for data handling and modelling
- Good overview on existing energy system models and modelling tools
- Good overview on open energy data
- Experience in collaborative code development and data processing
- Ability to find synergies of existing work instead of reinventing the wheel on your own
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- scientific production and research potential at international level
- innovative skills and the ability to generate new ideas
- the ability to communicate at all levels such as the provision of scientific advice to public sector authorities
- experience in teaching and education
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
For the specific position consideration will also be given to:
- Experience with Balmorel and/or TIMES
- Other relevant modeling experience
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. The Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position as senior researcher and researcher is permanent. The research scientist will after a maximum of 4 years transfer to a position as senior researcher provided that the employee is recommended for assessment and is deemed qualified. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Workplace is DTU Lyngby Campus, Produktionstorvet building 426.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Energy System Analysis Kenneth Karlsson, tel.: +45 4525 5117, mobile: +45 2132 8733, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more at www.man.dtu.dk/
Please submit your online application no later than 18 April 2017. Apply online via the "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for” please indicate whether you are applying for position as Senior Researcher or Researcher.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications (applicants applying for the post as Senior Researcher should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Documentation for participation in teacher training course .
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The Energy System Analysis Group (ESY) is one of four research groups in the System Analysis Division at DTU Management Engineering (SYS). SYS has more than three decades of experience in energy systems modelling and economic assessment of energy technologies. This includes work for Danish authorities on forecasts and planning of the energy system, development of energy markets and response to climate change.
ESY is a dynamic and diversified research group composed of engineers, physicists, computer science and social science people. We are around 16 employees hereof 6 PhD's, 4 Post Docs and researchers, 5 senior researchers and a couple of student assistants. To this adds a number of master thesis students also present in the office.
The main research areas in the group:
- Energy system optimization models and tools development
- National and international Scenario analysis focusing on integration of VRE
- 100% renewable energy systems
- Advanced modelling of transport in energy system models
- Waste and biomass for energy
- District heating and energy savings
New areas we want to develop:
- Modelling uncertainty and consumer behaviour
- Modelling gas infrastructure, RE gas and gasification of biomass
- Energy-Water-Climate Nexus
- Air pollution from energy conversion
- Integrated Assessment Modelling (resource scarcity, climate)
- Modelling power grid infrastructure
- ….and more
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder