Senior Researcher/Group Leader Metabolomics
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is seeking an outstanding young scientist to establish and manage a research group on Metabolomics. The position is targeting an ambitious candidate who wishes to become future leader within the scientific field.
The research group will be an integrated part of the international intellectual environment provided by the Center with a unique opportunity to collaborate with and/or be mentored by its Scientific Directors who provide the scientific leadership of the Center. The Group Leader will report directly to the Chief Scientific Officer of the Center, Prof. Jens Nielsen.
DTU Biosustain will provide funds, excellent research facilities and access to world-class infrastructures to support that the group achieve its goals. The Center expect the group leader to raise additional funding from external sources (EU, public funding agencies, industrial collaborations), but will allocate a significant start-package - including two positions and running cost - to the research group to kick-start the group operations.
Applicants for the Group Leader positions are invited to submit a short research plan in association with their application describing background, aim, scope, goals, impacts and perspectives for the intended research, but also the potential synergy effects of interactions with other Center activities.
Responsibilities and tasks
The researcher should be able to perform high-level research in one or more of the following areas:
- Development of methods for quantitative analysis of cellular metabolites
- Development of methods for analytics of cellular metabolites
- Development of methods for quenching of metabolism and extraction of intracellular metabolites
- High-throughput metabolomics profiling of microorganisms
- Integrative analysis of metabolomics data
The candidate can use any of the following cell factories as platforms for his/her work: S. cerevisiae, E. coli, Streptomyces, CHO
Furthermore, the Group Leader is supposed to:
- Establish, develop and manage a Research Group
- Disseminate research results
- Raising funds
- Facilitate interactions with other Center units
- Conduct translational research and innovation
- Establishing collaboration with industry and exchanging knowledge with society
- Guidance and supervision of MSc students, PhD students, postdocs and researchers
- Collaboration with other research groups/departments at DTU
- Hold a PhD degree or equivalent as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as Researcher or Postdoc.
- Strong background and track record within the field of research
- Demonstrated ability to publish in major research journals and to disseminate research at conferences
- Leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to raise funding for research purposes
- Significant international experience (e.g. post graduate stays at well reputed research institutions)
- Capable of working in an interdisciplinary environment
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- scientific production and research potential at international level
- innovative skills and the ability to generate and implement new ideas
- the ability to communicate at all levels
- the ability to communicate at all levels
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of the Center’s internal and external cooperations
For the specific position consideration will also be given to:
- Research group management skills (activities as well as personnel)
- Significant research output in internationally recognized journals and at conferences within the suggested field of research
- Proven success in attracting external funding
- Originality and long term vision of proposed research plans
- Outreach and networking capabilities
- Proven track record of supervision of PhD students
- Hands on experience with spin-out activity and commercialization of research results
DTU offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The workplace will be at the new building specifically designed to accommodate and facilitate center operations. Building 220 is located at the DTU main campus in Kgs. Lyngby at the outskirt of Copenhagen.
Further information may be obtained from Jens Nielsen, CSO or Bo S. Larsen, COO.
You can read more about DTU Biosustain on www.biosustain.dtu.dk.
Please submit your online application no later than 16 December 2016. Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD - an official translation into English)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- Description of the proposed research for the research Group
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Biosustain is an international research center of excellence developing next generation cell factories and bioprocesses for sustainable production of high-value chemical compounds as well as protein-based products. The center uses advanced metabolic engineering techniques and computational biology ensuring efficient and cost-effective design and construction processes.
The center’s activities are a balanced mix of basic and translational research, complemented by an emphasis on business development to facilitate commercialization of new cell factories and associated technologies. DTU Biosustain offers state-of-the-art research facilities and assembles world leaders in the field thus offering a unique platform providing excellent talent development and career opportunities.
The Center is based upon a long term grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation to DTU and it was inaugurated in 2011. It has now more than 220 employees and is still growing.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,300 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder