Assistant/Associate Professor in Software Engineering
DTU Compute’s Section for Software Engineering invites applications for an appointment as Assistant or Associate Professor in the area of software engineering. The position is available from January 2017 or according to mutual agreement.
Our department DTU Compute is an internationally unique academic environment spanning the science disciplines mathematics, statistics and computer science. At the same time we are an engineering department covering informatics and communication technologies (ICT) in their broadest sense. Finally, we play a major role in addressing the societal challenges of the digital society where ICT is a part of every industry, service, and human endeavour.
DTU Compute strives to achieve research excellence in its basic science disciplines, to achieve technological leadership in research and innovation, and to address societal challenges in collaboration with partners at DTU and other academic institutions, nationally and internationally, and, equally important, with industry and organizations. We communicate and collaborate with leading centres and strategic partners in order to increase participation in major consortia.
DTU Compute plays a central role in education at all levels of the engineering programmes at DTU - both in terms of our scientific disciplines and our didactic innovation.
The Section of Software Engineering is a lively and research oriented group of scientists and support staff with a shared interest in socio-technical software systems such as enterprise information systems, process-aware information systems, neuro-adaptive software systems, and cyber-physical systems. The aim of the new position is to expand the Departments teaching and research in this field.
Responsibilities and tasks
We seek ambitious candidates with a strong research focus, and envision the position to help expand the section’s research in areas such as
- Engineering of socio-technical software systems
- Empirical research on socio-technical software systems
- Human and cognitive aspects of socio-technical software systems engineering
- Analytics for socio-technical software systems (e.g., mining of business process and software)
The duties of an assistant professor include research-based teaching, research (including publication/scientific dissemination duties) and innovation. The distribution between the various duties may vary periodically, but a balance must be struck such that the assistant professor is able to develop in both research and teaching. The section is keen to ensure that an assistant professor is given supervision and guidance, and develops a teaching portfolio in order to qualify eventually for an associate professorship.
The duties of an associate professor include research, research-based teaching (with associated examination duties) and innovation. The distribution between the various tasks may vary and will be planned in collaboration with the head of the Software Engineering Section. The qualification requirements for the post of associate professor correspond to the level that is achievable through employment as an assistant professor.
At DTU Compute, we value knowledge sharing and cross functionality. Therefore, you are expected to cooperate and be eager to build relations with colleagues in the department and with other departments of DTU.
You are expected to participate in departmental teaching at all levels so you should value visionary and meaningful communication. The teaching will cover Bachelor-, Master- and PhD-level courses. Bachelor courses are taught in Danish, other courses in English. Non-Danish speakers are not disqualified for the role, but will be trained in Danish in order to participate in teaching on all levels.
For both positions the key qualification requirements are as follows:
- Documented scientific production/publication and research potential to become an international leader in your field.
- Ability and desire to contribute to the Section’s national and international collaborative efforts, including the dissemination of research results and research-based innovation in society.
Candidates for an
- Assistant Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent)
- Associate Professorship must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship and should document didactic/pedagogic training.
DTU Compute is responsible for teaching mathematics, statistics, and computer science across all the DTU engineering programmes. Moreover, DTU Compute has a leading role at DTU in using and promoting digital learning technologies for better teaching and better feedback and use of optimal resources. As a DTU Compute assistant or associate professor you must be enthusiastic both about teaching computer science and developing teaching using digital learning tools when relevant.
Your responsibilities will include several tasks such as teaching courses, supervising students, participating in research and innovation projects. You will participate in committee work as well as outreach activities towards prospective students, new collaborators, the general public. Therefore, skills such as flexibility, self-motivation and knowledge sharing, as well as a natural interest in collaboration and personal responsibility, are essential.
Important personal competencies for the role are that
- You thrive with collaboration and team work;
- You have a focus on processes and development as much as on results;
- You believe in dialogue and feedback as the best foundation for sound decision making;
- You are motivated by both personal and team accomplishments.
- You are driven by exploring boundaries
- You are energized by working with complex topics
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
- experience in teaching and education
- scientific production and research potential at an international level
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
For the associate professor position consideration will also be given to:
- experience with third-party funding is an advantage
DTU offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position as associate professor and assistant professor is permanent. The assistant professor will after a maximum of 4 years transfer to a position as associate professor provided that the employee is recommended for assessment and is deemed qualified. More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section, Professor Barbara Weber, tel.: +45 9351 1664.
You can read more about DTU Compute on www.compute.dtu.dk/english
Please submit your online application no later than 4 December 2016. Apply online via "Ansøg" link.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications (applicants applying for the position as associate professor should indicate scientific highlights)
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Documentation for teaching experience (e.g. in the form of a teaching portfolio - applicants applying for the position as associate professor)
In the field “Please indicate which position you are applying for” please indicate whether you are applying for position as Associate or Assistant Professor.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder