Principal Scientist in Microbial Physiology
Chr. Hansen is a global bioscience company that develops natural ingredient solutions for the food, nutritional, pharmaceutical and agricultural industries. All solutions are based on strong research and development competencies and significant technology investments. The company enjoys market leadership in all its
Our Bacterial Physiology & Improvement Department in the Discovery Function in Hørsholm invites exceptional candidates in the field of Microbial Physiology to apply for our position as Principal Scientist. We seek experimental biologists with sound, in-depth understanding of microbial physiology and microbial interactions and experience applying systems approaches to guide strain improvement and process design. The position requires cross-organizational communication and multidisciplinary collaboration.
The Discovery team is part of the R&D Microbial Platform organization at Chr. Hansen. Our main goal is to deliver bacterial strains for new product development, and thus we have developed a platform to identify and improve bacteria with desired functionalities. Specifically, in the Bacterial Physiology & Improvement Department we aim at gaining in-depth understanding of the physiology of bacteria using systems approaches, for knowledge guided improvement of strains to be applied in new product development. Understanding of how bacteria interact with their environment and other microbes is also of importance for our key projects.
Our ultimate goal is to develop new bacterial strains with improved functionalities and performance for the global fermented food industries, especially for dairy fermentations. Today’s consumers demand natural, healthier, clean label foods with great organoleptic properties (flavor, texture, etc). In a science-based framework, we use microbial physiology insights to develop the cultures that can provide these solutions, thus satisfying the needs of the modern consumer. In addition, we place great research efforts in fulfilling the needs and requirements of our customers regarding phage robustness, shelf-life extension, waste reduction, and overall cost-effective fermentation processes.
Your main focus will be on applying state-of-the-art methodologies for physiological characterization and improvement of industrial bacterial strains and elucidating molecular mechanisms underlying key phenotypes:
- Generating various omics data for achieving systems-level understanding of bacterial physiology
- Elucidate molecular mechanisms underlying key phenotypes using systems biology approaches
- Plan, execute and manage relevant projects in the framework of microbial physiology
- Actively participate in idea maturation sessions
- Establish and mediate collaborative efforts in the team, with stakeholders and external partners
- Supervise technical staff and junior researchers
- Participating in the preparation of internal reports and scholarly articles for publications
Your personal profile
For this position we request a solid background in microbial physiology and an eagerness to solve biological challenges combine different scientific disciplines to generate innovative products. A PhD in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Microbial Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent is mandatory. In addition, you are/have
- Documented scientific excellence in the form of high quality publication record
- Experience in doing research in multidisciplinary environments
- Talented, proactive and independent
- Innovative and enthusiastic towards new ideas
- Multitasking, team player and contribute to reaching team goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
A permanent position and a stimulating, international workplace within a professional organization focused on linking solid scientific research to business opportunities. In addition, we offer a good team with dedicated colleagues and a comprehensive scientific network in modern research laboratories.
If you have any questions for the position, please feel free to contact Rute Neves, Senior Department Manager: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: +45 6043 1012
Please apply online - click on the "Ansøg" link. Here you can enter your details into our CV-bank.
Deadline for applications is 6 November 2016.
Read more about working for Chr. Hansen at: www.chr-hansen.com/career.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder