2D Animator, VFX or Technical Artist to a growing game studio developing a viking/history card game
Do you also think it would be great to have a beautiful game that can accurately tell the story of the people of the past? Are you interested in the Vikings and being a part of an authentic game set in a historical universe? Would you like to be a part of creating the art for the card-based game together with our team of 2D Artists? To grow the art of our game we are looking for a handful of artists that have have experience with visual game art.
About our game
GAMUCATEX is an early-stage startup that is developing a card-based autobattler video game in a historical mythological universe. Inspired by games such as Magic, Civilizations, the Age of Empires and Heroes, our aim is to create an immersive and historically accurate game that inspires people to immerse themselves in history experiencing stories of the Vikings. Although the game is in production, you can check it out at itch.io: https://gamucatex.itch.io/tectonicus
The player will be taking charge of a faction - either Viking, Frankish, or Anglo-Saxon - which they will follow through history; experiencing past events according to historical records. Battles on a turn-based board will take place online for multiplayer and can be offline in single-player scenarios. You will lead your forces to your enemy’s lines and holding your morale high, you will dominate the fight! This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a visionary and loving small family-like team of talents that value diversity and inclusivity. We believe that making games should be as fun as playing them.
The position can either be onsite, hybrid or remote, part-time, or full-time. As we are currently seeking funding, the position will be unpaid but can contribute to an internship or a virksomhedspraktik benifits through the Danish Jobcenter. Our offices are located in three locations: Copenhagen at Amager/Nørrebro and Frederiksberg.
You will make concept art and illustrations of historical-mythological creatures, soldiers, ancient war scenes, various items and other 2D graphics that are in line with history, such as historical characters for our card gameplay, UI, environments, cities, war scenes and various items. Firstly we are making MVP rough sketches and concept art, after October we begin the rendering. You have to participate in a weekly Art Meeting and a short Friday wrap-up along with art tasks. Your duties will be:
- Aiming to facilitate consistency for art tasks
- In some cases, you will follow existing detailed concept art, in other cases, you will create environments or props from scratch that match the general art direction
- You will be required to create, and quality assure that in-game assets and environments adhere to technical briefs.
- We might ask you to participate in our live-streaming events where we show the world our team and game development
- You might have tasks in making icons for the game, such as an attack, health, abilities or effects
- You might have tasks in making some of the general user interfaces in the game
You should know about, sketching, coloring, shadows, composition and anatomy. You need not have many years of experience, but we need someone who is interested in growing in this area.
- Understanding of design and art language
- You can work in a team that includes consultants with limited game development experience
- You know how to give feedback and are open to receiving it
- Eagerness to learn and improve
- A portfolio with illustrations that you have made
- You can adapt your art style to that of the game to a certain extent
- Experience with either animations or VFX
It would be nice if you have experience working with game art before.
- Knowledge of Unity
- Experience making illustrations for card games
- Experience with making icons and UI
- Experience with making concept art
- Inspiration from similar of different games
Planned interview process
Online interviews are expected to take place from May. Starting date: as soon as possible or in the summer cohort/semester. Please note we reply as fast as possible, but not always as fast as big corporations. Be aware that we might end up in your email spam folder when we try to contact you, so keep a keen eye on that. For more information or questions please contact us at email@example.com or phone number +45 25 72 29 69.
Please write in your application that you've seen the job at Jobfinder.